Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-29-2015, 07:37 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username1 View Post
"Acidic Jews" - Ha ! I like that..... The real real good electronics crap was on Canal st.
You ever get a time machine, you remember to set it for Canal St. 1969....

Hehehehe... When school took up again, I went to the library, & told the librarian about seein' those "Acidic Jews"... NOBODY could figger out what I meant, until the Principal-Who sat in the pew in front of us in the Presbyterian Church-quizzed Mama & Daddy about it, & THEN he realized what I meant... NOT "Acidic", but "HASIDIC"... I've had a few Joosh friends thru the years, & they always get a Kick from that story... TOTALLY innocent, but my Mountain Brogue betrayed me..WHAT was the street that had the REALLY "Good" electronic junque shoppes on it, it was COMPLETELY obliterated by the WTC complex ? It was a REAL "Radio Row", & about any kind of tube, widget, hooberbloob you could name was likely there, in abundance ? There was a Rat's warren of streets there, that they completely did away with...
Old 05-22-2016, 01:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

I was born in 1998, and my first exposure to vintage TV collecting was watching YouTube videos of all the American sets out there.. And then at one point I had 20 TVs.. Now it's reduced down to 10, 8 at the old house and 2 here. One of them is my 1958 Empress Electronics Super Fringe, which I use as a radio because the TV section needs a new 6AL3 horizontal output tube.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-22-2016, 06:49 PM
console lover

It's a damper, which is essential for horizontal sweep (at least in the 99.21% of magnetic deflection sets that use one) but the large beam pentode that gets its plate voltage from the damper is properly called the horizontal output tube.
Old 05-23-2016, 11:54 AM
VideoKarma Member

What does collecting TV's mean to me?

Hi:
Really glad there are very young people interested in the hobby.

I am 57, recent retired from Boeing, and I learned electronics from a former military and civilian electronics technician in high school, as a three year certificate program that earned you 1 full year at the local community college (way before "Running Start" type programs). My motivation was to learn to fix our household sets, and avoid those dreaded words, "It has to go to the shop." I was really into TV as a boy and teen, and watched all those 1960's sitcoms as well as the local Seattle kids shows (J P Patches, Stan Boreson, Captain Puget, Brakeman Bill) at the end of their glory days.

My dad did the basics (testing tubes at the local TV shop) and even at 5-6 years old I was always fascinated by the glow of the tubes in the back of the set when he worked on it. He worked second shift at Boeing, took the speaker out of the set, and ran speaker wire under our carpet from the TV to his favorite chair so he could watch/listen to Johnny Carson after work without disturbing us kids. So I got the bug from him too, although he was never trained in electronics.

In the 1980's I had a bunch of vintage sets from the 1950's, '60's and '70's, all with tubes, as well as several radios and parts. I was still living at home and every room had some of my collection. Mom and Dad finally said I had to get rid of the sets, and to this day I regret having to dispose of all of them. I still have a 1965 Zenith chassis 25MC33 roundy combo, and a 1967 Motorola 23" color console, but they are still at my parents house, and will have to go soon. I have no space in my current house, and my wife is not into it at all...

I am a vicarious collector these days except for recently acquired test gear and a few older transistor radios from my parents and thrift shops. The bug has not gone away...
Old 05-23-2016, 12:09 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkand View Post
Hi:
In the 1980's I had a bunch of vintage sets from the 1950's, '60's and '70's, all with tubes, as well as several radios and parts. I was still living at home and every room had some of my collection. Mom and Dad finally said I had to get rid of the sets, and to this day I regret having to dispose of all of them. I still have a 1965 Zenith chassis 25MC33 roundy combo, and a 1967 Motorola 23" color console, but they are still at my parents house, and will have to go soon. I have no space in my current house, and my wife is not into it at all...

I am a vicarious collector these days except for recently acquired test gear and a few older transistor radios from my parents and thrift shops. The bug has not gone away...
It's as much your house as your wife's you should be able to claim a room or half of one for your two consoles. If there is a dry climate controlled basement or attic (extra space in the garage perhaps?) that is not finished/furnished you should be able to eek out a small collection space by repacking the stuff junk stored there more densely in a corner or disposing of a portion of it.

I've got 70% of a basement and have had north of 50 tube TVs and around 100tube radios down there. If you get serious I think you can find space for your two consoles EASILY (making it may take a bit of effort though).

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma
Old 05-23-2016, 01:21 PM
Larry Melton (oldtvman)

When I started this thread I posed the question because when I grew up in the 50's there were no distractions like cell phones, computers, vcr's, cable tv and life was much more basic. Like many kids of that time I grew up with all the kid favorites of that era. One day my dad to me to a tv store and there it was a tv running that had a show on in living color. After that every time I saw the Peacock on tv the envy started to build. Color tv was about as out of place as having a UFO land in your front yard. Those sets were big, clunky and had the usual reliability issues, but one thing was clear, those who had sets were fans of color forever.
Old 05-27-2016, 12:31 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
It's as much your house as your wife's you should be able to claim a room or half of one for your two consoles. If there is a dry climate controlled basement or attic (extra space in the garage perhaps?) that is not finished/furnished you should be able to eek out a small collection space by repacking the stuff junk stored there more densely in a corner or disposing of a portion of it.

I've got 70% of a basement and have had north of 50 tube TVs and around 100tube radios down there. If you get serious I think you can find space for your two consoles EASILY (making it may take a bit of effort though).
I hear ya, Tom. Thanks for the inspiration to hang in there, LOL. I am working on alternatives. I have some relatively modern stereo equipment I am going to get rid of to make some room etc. My wife is fine with all of it, ultimately. I did not mean to make it sound like she's the buzz kill...She knows I like my stuff. Also, the house we're in is really too small for either of us, and developers are sniffing around since we are near 2 state highways, and they want to increase housing density in our part of town. I can hold off the need to move the sets out of my folks' house as my brother lives there by himself. The definition of "soon" in my earlier post is a bit more fluid and less dire than I indicated...

There will definitely need to be a "collectibles" room in the new dwelling...BUT we like our debt free financial state, and I do not want to jeopardize that either...

Decisions, decisions...
Old 05-27-2016, 05:51 AM
Technohippie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
WHAT was the street that had the REALLY "Good" electronic junque shoppes on it, it was COMPLETELY obliterated by the WTC complex ? It was a REAL "Radio Row", & about any kind of tube, widget, hooberbloob you could name was likely there, in abundance ? There was a Rat's warren of streets there, that they completely did away with...
You must be thinking of Canal Street and/or Cortland Street.

"Radio Row" went away to build the WTC. All that remains are a couple shops selling cell phone accessories and car stereo crap...
Old 05-27-2016, 12:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

At 56 and born in 60 I went threw the 60s watching a Sears color roundie that the service guy was constantly by to fix something and one day at probably age 8 or 9 there was a tube next to the hv cage and the service guy would tell me to push the tube to the side if the picture turns green and I remember the tube was not lit until I pushed it. This would never happen today, to much liability on the part of the company that would have sent the tech.
Old 05-27-2016, 01:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by decojoe67 View Post
"people collect old barbed-wire, door-knobs.....so why not old televisions..." referring to it as being pretty odd.
In the 69's TV show "Bewitched" Samatha had a relative Aunt someone who collected door knobs. Presented as something totally wacky, that no normal person would be interested in doing.... Later in the episode that this was mentioned, it was a plot device to explain a few missing doorknobs in Samatha's house...

Quote:
You must be thinking of Canal Street
I remember paying too much for a POS reel to reel machine there back around 1974. 20 years later I had occasion to go there, along with a Chinese friend, and Canal St had become a Chinatown extension.
Old 05-31-2016, 12:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

I'm a 25 year old Software Developer, born in 1991. I feel I'm within the last few years of the pre-internet generation. I got a small taste of what life was like before anyone and everyone could do just about anything with technology, and it was always interesting to me what people could and couldn't do before all the moderm miracles I grew up with (That some of the even younger people on here would laugh at me for calling miracles). As I started to really research the technologies available before I was born, I became more and more fascinated. Things that I took for granted as a basic necessity (Color TV, Cable TV, Video game consoles, etc) were being introduced as futuristic revolutions, and things that were obsolete and unnecessary (B&W TV, OTA Broadcasting) were all that most people had. And some people didn't even have that. And that was only 30 or so years before I was born. Go back another 10 years, and you were the talk of the neighborhood if you had a set at all!

After the novelty of "Ha, that TV's old" wore off, the technology itself is what fascinated me. What's the difference between transistors and tubes? What's different between analog and digital signals, despite being on the same frequencies? How can I convert one to the other? How can I get something from the 90s to play on a TV from the 80s? How can I get something that came out a week ago to play on that same TV? How can I set up a microtransmitter to bring portable units into the mix? Should I really hook up an Xbox 360 to a 1.5" Watchman? With each experiment, each more absurd than the last, I'm learning more and more about television and broadcasting technology both old and new. And with it has come the desire I see from just about everyone here to keep, restore, and preserve the older technologies. I've absolutely learned the roots of where everything we take for granted nowadays has come from, and I've gained a very deep respect for that.
Old 06-10-2016, 02:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

I remember my parents total automatic color magnavox used to love waiting for the tv repair man so when he pulled the bac off I could look in side loved those days and my grandpa having to full tube caddys him always giving me tubes
Old 06-17-2016, 05:09 PM
electronics packrat

I'm 47 and have been collecting old TV sets most of my life. I've had a few people think I'm weird and I've had to deal with a few wisecracks over the years, bur I don't mind. There are young people out there who appreciate this stuff and I think there always will be. I used to go to the junk shops around town and pick up 50's B/W sets for next to nothing and color roundies really cheap too. I bought my first color set, a CTC-5, for $1. People thought I was nuts then but the value of some of these sets has gone through the roof. I'll probably collect sets for the rest of my life, since I haven't found either of my "Holy Grail" sets yet. There's a Royal Sovereign out there in a barn somewhere waiting for me to find it, lol.
Old 06-18-2016, 01:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2IXK View Post
You must be thinking of Canal Street and/or Cortland Street.

"Radio Row" went away to build the WTC. All that remains are a couple shops selling cell phone accessories and car stereo crap...
Cortland Street was "Radio Row." Here's a site devoted to the death of Radio Row:
http://www.qcwa.org/radio-row.htm. You can also Goggle "Radio Row" for more sites.

-Steve D.
Old 06-26-2016, 11:59 AM
Slave to 1 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kschrief View Post
I'm a 25 year old Software Developer, born in 1991. I feel I'm within the last few years of the pre-internet generation. I got a small taste of what life was like before anyone and everyone could do just about anything with technology, and it was always interesting to me what people could and couldn't do before all the moderm miracles I grew up with (That some of the even younger people on here would laugh at me for calling miracles). As I started to really research the technologies available before I was born, I became more and more fascinated. Things that I took for granted as a basic necessity (Color TV, Cable TV, Video game consoles, etc) were being introduced as futuristic revolutions, and things that were obsolete and unnecessary (B&W TV, OTA Broadcasting) were all that most people had. And some people didn't even have that. And that was only 30 or so years before I was born. Go back another 10 years, and you were the talk of the neighborhood if you had a set at all!

After the novelty of "Ha, that TV's old" wore off, the technology itself is what fascinated me. What's the difference between transistors and tubes? What's different between analog and digital signals, despite being on the same frequencies? How can I convert one to the other? How can I get something from the 90s to play on a TV from the 80s? How can I get something that came out a week ago to play on that same TV? How can I set up a microtransmitter to bring portable units into the mix? Should I really hook up an Xbox 360 to a 1.5" Watchman? With each experiment, each more absurd than the last, I'm learning more and more about television and broadcasting technology both old and new. And with it has come the desire I see from just about everyone here to keep, restore, and preserve the older technologies. I've absolutely learned the roots of where everything we take for granted nowadays has come from, and I've gained a very deep respect for that.
I was born in 1966, I turn 50 next week. :p I've done a lot of the same things you did, one time I hooked up my Playstation to a 1969 Sony B&W TV, I can still play the games, but when it came to "chocobo breeding" in Final Fantasy VII, I had no idea what color chocobo I would get. BTW, FYI, "chocobos" are a staple in the Final Fantasy series, basically it looks like a cross between an ostrich and a chicken and people can ride them or use them to pull wagons. Most chocobos are yellow like a baby chick but in FF VII there are rare ones of other colors that can give them special abilities.
Audiokarma