Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-04-2017, 05:49 PM
I love old stuff

Movie theaters (cinemas) that still project movies from film

I'm curios, in the place/area/country where you live there is any movie theater (cinema) that still project movies from cinematographic film?
Old 12-04-2017, 08:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

I don't really check these types of things when I go to the movies, but I do remember about five years ago I went to see a movie for a homework assignment. The theatre had just switched from film to digital projectors, and was bragging about it on banners in the windows near the entrance and whatnot. And wouldn't you know it, the machine broke down probably 10 minutes into the movie.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:27 PM
The Resident Brony

I was under the impression that most movies were still on film. Digital projection is still sort of emerging, if you go to fandango or movietickets.com and look at the times for a particular cinema, they usually note which films are presented in digital.

As far as I know, Imax films are still literally films.

Also, while I'm usually stuck in the past, digital projection is one new technology I approve of. All the digital movies I've seen have been really nice, no weirdness of any kind, and nothing seems lost compared to old school film. Plus, you get the added bonus of having a clear picture on fast camera panning, which film really just can't do.
Old 12-04-2017, 10:45 PM
M is for Memory

I was under the impression that most theaters (excluding Imax) were using digital projectors for some time now.

Last time I can recall watching a film that was definitely on film in the theater, was over a decade ago. I forget why but I went with some folks to see 'Finding Nemo" in a bargain theater that would start to run a film at the same time the good ones were ending their showings....The print they showed had OBVIOUS wear.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 12-04-2017, 10:59 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

In the US, the switch to digital distribution happened a few years back. A number of small theaters ran funding campaigns to cover the cost of the digital projectors in order to stay in business. Occasionally a director with enough clout will use film in production, and then there may be a variety of mixtures of digital and film in different stages of the post production, but the final output will be digital. But a theater has to have specifically retained its film projector for the odd case of showing real film.

EDIT: for a while, movies were issued in both digital and film prints, even if production or post production was digital. The studios obviously like not having to pay for prints, plus digital lets them do watermarking tricks to reduce the incidence of pirating by sneaking a camcorder into the theater.

I don't know what the situation is in the India and China domestic markets.

Last edited by old_tv_nut; 12-04-2017 at 11:04 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 12-08-2017, 04:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

Almost everything is digital now.

Check this out though:
https://reelfilm.kodak.com