Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Flat Panels & Digital Format

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:24 AM
VideoKarma Member

Toshiba CT-90043

I've just bought one for £25 including delivery. CRT 31" screen so I guess it's neither new or old. Very heavy with a good sharp picture. In general the color's good but large areas of black show up as murky red. There are red, green, yellow and blue buttons on the remote but they don't seem to have any effect. Would the buttons only alter NTSC? I'm in Scotland ; the system here is PAL. I don't have a manual (yet).

As long as it's not to use it as a boat anchor, any advice would be most welcome Maybe I should get the back off and try to find if a lead's come loose or if there are any color controls but I really don't want to damage it or kill myself
Old 01-12-2012, 09:18 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

I learned about the four color buttons on remote controls, ironically, on a trip to the UK in 2000. They are/were for the Teletext system in wide use at that time (is it entirely gone now?). A Teletext screen would often have uses for those buttons, such as red for sports, blue for weather maybe.

I was so fascinated by Teletext (which had only brief, minimal use in the USA in the mid-1980s, with few decoders available and none built into TVs) that I "watched" it a lot more than actual TV programs on that trip.

The set of four color buttons does live on, though, with other uses. My Samsung TVs and Blu-ray player have them, marked A-B-C-D, and on-screen menus include functions for them.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 01-13-2012, 06:13 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV View Post
[COLOR="black"]I learned about the four color buttons on remote controls, ironically, on a trip to the UK in 2000. They are/were for the Teletext system in wide use at that time (is it entirely gone now?). A Teletext screen would often have uses for those buttons, such as red for sports, blue for weather maybe.

I was so fascinated by Teletext (which had only brief, minimal use in the USA in the mid-1980s, with few decoders available and none built into TVs) that I "watched" it a lot more than actual TV programs on that trip.

The set of four color buttons does live on, though, with other uses. My Samsung TVs and Blu-ray player have them, marked A-B-C-D, and on-screen menus include functions for them.
[/COLOR]

The only on screen-menue that looks as if it might be relevant is Tint, but adjusting this seems to have no effect. It's strange. Daytime outside scenes look very good, clean whites and good colour balance in general, it's just dark scenes that look strange, like black curtain in a brightly lit scene. The bright part looks good but the black has this odd red/purple tint.

What I was hoping to find was a way to put the set on the manufacturers default settings and see what that did. If there's no way to do this I could maybe take the back off, see if there's a red picture control and carefully turn it down. I guess I could always turn it back up if it does more harm than good.

I've tried searching for an owners manual on line but so far, no luck.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:00 PM
M is for Memory

Look for a red screen control inside the back....Turning it down slightly could fix the red issue. On a newer set it might be in a hidden service menu, and not a physical control.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 01-14-2012, 07:11 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Look for a red screen control inside the back....Turning it down slightly could fix the red issue. On a newer set it might be in a hidden service menu, and not a physical control.
Thanks Electronic M.

I've put a photo of the set below. Going through the accessible menus I've found Panel Lock and WSS, both set to OFF.

The picturer's not bad, as long as it's a colour broadcast it's perfectly watchable but the colour cast is a distraction when watching videos of old black and white films.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Toshiba CT-90043.jpg (66.2 KB, 10 views)
Old 01-15-2012, 10:48 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
I think it might have at least one hidden menu. I found a settings control menu that had a reference to GREEN on it. Strange that it was just for green but if I remember rightly, the PAL system had an indirect way of dealing with green. Although it didn't affect the clarity in general, on early sets large areas of green tended to be subdued.

For its age it's a remarkable set. It's extremely heavy (the size of the screw-heads on its stand should have warned me) and has 4 system settings; PAL, NTSC, SECAM and AUTOMATIC. There's a setting up menu for Dolby surround sound. I'm very cautious about hidden menus; having found the one with the system settings it took me ten minutes to find the way out.

I know that with modern flat screens ruling the world its market value is probably zero, but I'd like to get it working properly if I can so any advice would be most welcome. I don't know why but there's something about it. I don't remember ever seeing a true flat screen CRT set before.