Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Flat Panels & Digital Format

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-23-2011, 07:18 PM
Administrator

Polaroid tla-04641c won't turn on

Hi gang, got lucky before so I thought id try my luck again, not going to happen this time so I need some help!

This 46 inch Polaroid LCD clicks when it's plugged in, the red standby LED is lit but that's all.
Pressing the power button does nothing.

The PS Caps look ok, nothing obvious bad, I resoldered it anyhow but it's didn't help, there is voltage coming out of it (5v, 12v, 24v) so it may not be the problem.

The other board, I think it's the controller board has been messed with badly and I suspect it's where the problem lies.

I replaced two 2200mf @ 25v caps on it because they were the two oddballs and looked cheap, it didn't make a difference ( i used some 2200@6.3 volts because that's all I had on hand, figured they'd survive long enough) set still doesn't turn on.

I have a service manual but the schematic is illegible.

Not sure what the objective was to using solder to jumper the ground foils on this board, I used solder wick and removed it all, figured it didn't need it when it was new it shouldn't need it now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg boardglob1.jpg (45.4 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg boardglob2.jpg (39.5 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by Eric H; 12-23-2011 at 07:22 PM.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi Eric,

The red light of death is very common on Polaroids. The problem is the main board, but nobody has been able to determine what is failing on the main board that is causing the problem.

Polaroid customer service will not help you at all - they will only offer to sell you a complete refurbished control box for several hundred dollars, and refund $100 when you return the defective control box - but yours has been messed with, so they will not accept it back.

Your best option is to buy an exact replacement working main board from a reliable eBay seller - look for a seller that is selling a board from a TV that had a damaged screen.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:01 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by crtfool View Post
Hi Eric,

The red light of death is very common on Polaroids. The problem is the main board, but nobody has been able to determine what is failing on the main board that is causing the problem.
Hi, and thanks, I figured it might turn out that way.
I found one on eBay for $65 or so, not sure I want to take a chance not knowing what the rest of the set it like, OTOH it's a complete waste of $50 the way it is. I had just planned of selling it anyhow.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

These sets are not the greatest, but I would spend $65 to get the set working. For about $115 - it is still a good deal for a 46" LCD. I'm sure that you can still make a profit if you sell it.