Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-19-2014, 10:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

The Sylvania early SS color sets--has ANYONE got one ?

All of this talk about the "good early SS color sets"--has reminded me of one I do NOT and NEVER have gotten hold of--The Sylvania E0-1 or E0-2 chassis set. in 1987, I Saw--and worked on one of these sets. It was nicely built IIRC, with large sinks and such, but I have NOT seen one since. I ALMOST got one last winter on CL, but they would NOT respond to me....I HAVE an E0-3 set from 1973 or 74, but it is a WHOLE different animal than the E01 or 2....

Does anyone here know what I speak of ??
Old 05-20-2014, 09:08 AM
sampson159

those were great sets.the crts looked great but didnt hold up.if you got 3 years you were doing good.electronically they were winners
Old 05-20-2014, 09:27 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rca2000 View Post
All of this talk about the "good early SS color sets"--has reminded me of one I do NOT and NEVER have gotten hold of--The Sylvania E0-1 or E0-2 chassis set. in 1987, I Saw--and worked on one of these sets. It was nicely built IIRC, with large sinks and such, but I have NOT seen one since. I ALMOST got one last winter on CL, but they would NOT respond to me....I HAVE an E0-3 set from 1973 or 74, but it is a WHOLE different animal than the E01 or 2....

Does anyone here know what I speak of ??
I remember working on one, years ago. This one had the keyboard tuner with the large removable buttons for assigning different channel locations.
Looked similar to the newer E03 chassis, but the boards were hard wired and not removable.
Not as many of them around, as the newer models.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:10 AM
VideoKarma Member

Pulled the Sams to refresh my memory. Yes I have seen
one or two of them. Its an all out set like most early SS consles.
Very high parts count especially in the color ckts. Straigh forward
design, no fancy stuff. Cant be many around now........

73 Zeno
Old 05-20-2014, 11:39 AM
VideoKarma Member

I can't recall the chassis number but I have a couple of those.
They use a HUGE power transformer (the type that regulate the line voltage), has 3 large PCB's (IF,video,sweep iirc) a fly with a tripler. They make very good daily drivers, only issue is the little pins that the PCBs attach too tend to break off the plastic rails, causing some problems. I had one pop a breaker, it was a shorted big motor run type oil filled cap (4uf 350v IIRC) I understand it was part of the regulation of the B+. a bad cap and vert out (prob bad cap then vert out transistor was smoked). Had some ghost that had to do with poor grounding of the IF PCB.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chassis.JPG (89.4 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg added cap to 35v supply pic.jpg (54.7 KB, 49 views)
Audiokarma
Old 05-20-2014, 12:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have one like that one--mine is the E0-3 set--that does NOT use the VRT transformer, and has a pass regulator by the horiz. out. . I am speaking about one OLDER than this one---I have only see that one so far. It is bigger--has more boards, which are smaller I think and not sure if they were plug-in or not, and has pronounced large sinks on a couple of boards with T0-3 pouts for vert. and horiz. E01 or E02. .
Old 05-20-2014, 06:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rca2000 View Post
I have one like that one--mine is the E0-3 set--that does NOT use the VRT transformer, and has a pass regulator by the horiz. out. . I am speaking about one OLDER than this one---I have only see that one so far. It is bigger--has more boards, which are smaller I think and not sure if they were plug-in or not, and has pronounced large sinks on a couple of boards with T0-3 pouts for vert. and horiz. E01 or E02. .
Pulled the E02. Almost the same as E01. non modular but plug
in transistors. Difference seems to be in power supply. Both use
pass transistors for 120V. There was a newer chassis maybe the E-45
or -48 that had the pass transistor by the HOT. The FBT would go
& take the HOT & pass transistor. OEM's were >$20 each, was a
big job $$ wise. Also when the 200V filter cap went the vert would
blink, dont remember why.
Maybe there is an earlier SS chassis than E01, no big heatsinks
in it.

73 Zeno
Old 05-20-2014, 08:01 PM
sampson159

sylvanias went from d 16 to e 01.d 16 was a hybrid set.e o1 was the fheir first solid state set.the ones we saw here had the brightness and contrast controls mislabeled.the first sets to use the 25vdmp22.very good sets
Old 05-21-2014, 05:49 PM
David Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWM View Post
I can't recall the chassis number but I have a couple of those.
They use a HUGE power transformer (the type that regulate the line voltage), has 3 large PCB's (IF,video,sweep iirc) a fly with a tripler. They make very good daily drivers, only issue is the little pins that the PCBs attach too tend to break off the plastic rails, causing some problems. I had one pop a breaker, it was a shorted big motor run type oil filled cap (4uf 350v IIRC) I understand it was part of the regulation of the B+. a bad cap and vert out (prob bad cap then vert out transistor was smoked). Had some ghost that had to do with poor grounding of the IF PCB.
Thanks for the pic. I had a friend with a Sylvania like that. I worked on it for him several times before the picture tube finally conked out. It remember it seemed to be a very well built tv set.
Old 05-30-2014, 07:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeno View Post
Pulled the E02. Almost the same as E01. non modular but plug
in transistors. Difference seems to be in power supply. Both use
pass transistors for 120V. There was a newer chassis maybe the E-45
or -48 that had the pass transistor by the HOT. The FBT would go
& take the HOT & pass transistor. OEM's were >$20 each, was a
big job $$ wise. Also when the 200V filter cap went the vert would
blink, dont remember why.
Maybe there is an earlier SS chassis than E01, no big heatsinks
in it.

73 Zeno
No--the EO-1 Is the chassis I was thinking about . I TOO looked at my manual, sams 1251-3 (which I just found.). It does INDEED have 3 large sinks on it--2 in the middle of the chassis (vert. out and pass regulator5) and a REAL big, tall one in the upper right corner of the chassis for the horiz. out--by the flyback. It does not appear to be modular--more like the design of the flat RCA SS sets (ctc 40,44 and 47), with seperate pc boards but soldered -in parts.
Audiokarma