Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-24-2012, 02:08 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I bought a CX-500 "back in the Day" new, & it served WELL for nearly 25 yrs, til, stupidly, I sold it. It was my "Car Wash" TV...I'd take it outside & play the radio/tape while washing whatever steed I had during those days. We also took it "Up on the Hill", a place outside of town where they had all the ginormous antennas for the cable TV system, & would watch "Hill Street Blues"...Hey, somethin' to do in a small Southern town....AMAZING how many TV stations the l'il guy would pick up there...Quite a few that we DIDN'T get on cable. I got a "knockoff" CX-500 back since- 4.5 color set, AM-FM, cassette, & it brings back happy memories...Too bad we CAN'T "Go up on the Hill" anymore.
Old 06-24-2012, 03:15 PM
"micro" and quirky

Location: I'm in San Diego, but lived in Hong Kong for a long time
My CX-500 needs some little attention. I got it from someone who admitted they messed with "some knobs inside"...and then they did a perfect job of putting it all back together. It looks like they messed with the "screen" drives or something and weren't sure what they were doing. Has a great sharp picture, but it's a bit bright, and I can only BARELY get it to go completely dark with contrast and brightness all the way down. It's also just barely tinted green if you turn the color all the way down. Whatever is giving it too much brightness is likely also where I'm seeing a little loss in contrast. Either he found and played with a "sub brightness", or there are some gain controls he screwed with. My guess...whichever knobs most resembled "bright shiny object" knowing this guy :-P

Looks like a VERY minor fix....involving me just finally getting INTO it and dialing it in with a proper crosshatch and color bars. I've just not done it yet.

It sure FEELS like a good sturdy set. It's MUCH heavier than any of my other briefcase B/W sets...and it DOES have a big green NiCad battery "pack" instead of all the D batteries. It DOES appear to run CX-500 for around two hours after charging all night (has it's own charger). I cycled that pack a few times, and after about a week....noticed it would run just about two hours.

Last edited by AiboPet; 06-24-2012 at 03:23 PM.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:07 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotvnut View Post

I would like to find one of those later model sets in a transparent case.
I have one of those Prison sets I found at Salvation Army, this one is Color though and about a 13" screen.

It's very clean (most I've found have been beat to hell, Prison's a rough place I guess) other than some Tape residue (that's going to be hard to clean off) but the Camera and the dust make it look bad here.

It has the all important Inmate Serial Number to give it "Street Cred"
Maybe I can find the Inmate and invite him over to autograph it? (or not )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg prison-set1.jpg (20.7 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg prison-set2.jpg (23.5 KB, 29 views)
Old 06-24-2012, 05:23 PM
"micro" and quirky

Seen and ALMOST bought a couple of those off ebay, but they sorta stray from my "micro" theme. The biggest sets I have are the rescued 8" Quasar...and the 8" Sony 301.

I do have a blue and a purple "transparent" version of these little chinese sets though. Would be pretty cool if there is an actual CLEAR one of those out there somewhere.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:36 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiboPet View Post
Would be pretty cool if there is an actual CLEAR one of those out there somewhere.
Look closely at my picture!

Also there is a Clear 4.5" set available, Rhapsody Brand among others, somewhat hard to find, I have one but it's not in great shape.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clearegg.jpg (24.8 KB, 22 views)
Audiokarma
Old 06-24-2012, 05:49 PM
"micro" and quirky

Yeah...saw the little "egg shaped" one. You also appear to have one of the little Magnavox "Shadow" sets (small white one) up on the shelf next to whatever the two "hat box" looking items are. Are those two round things old 45 record cases? It LOOKS like you may have an old 45rpm record player on the top shelf.

The little Rhapsody sets I see on ebay do look almost EXACTLY like the Magnavox Shadow sets I have...from what I seen of them anyway (I have no Rhapsody set yet). I like how they are almost cubes.....like the Indextron "apple" tube is supposed to look (can only DREAM of one of THOSE)
Old 06-24-2012, 07:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

Here radiotvnut, I made this video for you last night, was only just able to get it to upload just now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxZnCvLdhgg

That's my unisonic and TG&Y together.. My only black and white screens.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:04 PM
"micro" and quirky

That Unisonic set is pretty cool!
Old 06-24-2012, 08:27 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Hehehehe...Somewhere, in an alternate universe, maybe, they made Plexiglass cabinets in 1950, & THEIR Zenith put Porthole sets in 'em...And later on, you could buy Roundie color sets in clear cabinets...And in that wondrous Alternate universe, I have an R-390A in a Mil-Spec CY-979 clear case- and my Rohde & Schwarz EK-07's "Haus" is clear, too.....Shit, a boy can DREAM, can't he ?!? (grin)
Old 06-24-2012, 08:49 PM
"micro" and quirky

Actually.......

I wish I could FIND the thing, but my TV repair class in Hong Kong...we had a "learning set" in the classroom that WAS a huge 25" plexiglass console color set. Even BETTER than what you imagine it looks like, it also had "fail modules" and switches allover the chassis to "induce" problems. I so wanted to HAVE one of those!

You could "crack" different parts of the yoke with pushbutton switches, kill the HOT....take caps "out of circuit", etc. What was REAL cool was the pushbuttons were POPO...so you could NOT tell what position the switches were in. This thing made a PHENOMENAL tool for testing us pupils. Profesor would configure the set in some failed mode...and pupil gets to try and figure out whats up.

Had NO idea what sort of chassis it was, but we had two of those sets. One of them was a tube set....both color. The solid state set had most of it's silicon in SOCKETS so these things must have cost a FORTUNE with all the identical little "fail modules"
Audiokarma
Old 06-24-2012, 09:54 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
Hehehehe...Somewhere, in an alternate universe, maybe, they made Plexiglass cabinets in 1950, & THEIR Zenith put Porthole sets in 'em...And later on, you could buy Roundie color sets in clear cabinets...And in that wondrous Alternate universe, I have an R-390A in a Mil-Spec CY-979 clear case- and my Rohde & Schwarz EK-07's "Haus" is clear, too.....Shit, a boy can DREAM, can't he ?!? (grin)
Ever since I was a boy in the late 1960s or early 1970s and I saw clear-case phones in the telephone exhibit at the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago, I have loved anything in a see-through cabinet.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."