Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-04-2023, 10:18 PM
M is for Memory

Finally completed my Zenith tube Transoceanic collection

So for a few years now I've had every major cabinet/chassis change of the tube Zenith Transoceanic family except for the pre-war models...I ended up buying both variants sailboat and bomber at an auction last weekend and driving out to Ohio today to get them (wasn't going to risk FedEx pack and smash).

As a nice bonus I got a coule of free allegedly good 16GP4s simply by mentioning the part number I was offered them... I'll test them tomorrow.

Unfortunately I keep learning the hard way not to trust 80 year old leather handles...I picked them both up by the handle, walked 50', set them on the pavement to open the car door then when I tried to pick them up the sailboat set the handle came off less than 2" in the air...Not enough to harm the rest of radio luckily, but one of those " oh shit! I'm an idiot." moments. So I need to find a new handle now.

At this point I've got every major tube Transoceanic, most of the competitors of the tube era, and a 1000, 3000, and 7000... I'll probably stop collecting Transoceanic sets soon. My 3000 and 7000 are rough, though so I'll be on the lookout for better specimens (once the chrome peels it's game over for looks).

At some point I should do a YouTube video on my collection of these once I finish restoring the ones that aren't, and get the time to edit the obsurd back log of raw footage I've been recording into something fit for the public again.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4