Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > The Amateur Radio Spot

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-25-2018, 10:43 AM
VideoKarma Member

Shutdown of WWV in 2019?

This is not good news for hams, experimenters, SWLs or anybody with a self setting "atomic clock/wristwatch"... Anybody here use the WWV signals?

http://www.arrl.org/news/concern-ris...-down-proposal

jr
Old 08-25-2018, 11:51 AM
Peanut Head

At the tone...time will be 3 hours....45 minutes GMT....BEEP! doo---doo---doo---doo...

Let me live in the house beside the road and be a friend to man.
Old 08-25-2018, 07:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...tions-wwv-wwvh

Send it to all your friends, I did and have gotten about 20 signatures added. WWV/H are useful and an institution.
Old 08-26-2018, 01:37 AM
VideoKarma Member

I have a device that uses the signal. I also use the HF signals as a reference for my SW radios.
Old 08-26-2018, 08:45 AM
I like....big sparks!!

So-called "atomic" clocks actually use the digital signal from WWVB @ 60kHz for their timebase. WWVB evidently won't be affected by the shutdown.

That being said, the proposed shutdown seems to me to be a case of "cutting off your nose to spite your face". In the greater scheme of things, the operational costs are a tiny, tiny fraction of government spending. In fact, the government spends that amount on other things approximately every 30 seconds. WWV/WWVH as a source of accurate time information may be bordering on obsolete, but, as a source for extremely accurate frequency information they are invaluable...not to mention periodic updates on solar conditions, ocean weather, etc. "Internet time" may be useful for ordinary purposes, but there's an inherent lag of a few milliseconds in the time info.

And, like many, a WWV QSL card was among the first I received all those years ago. Ended up verifying them on all their frequencies, as well as WWVH on 5 & 10 mHz. 'VH is a tough catch here in the Midwest, propagation has to be just right to enable reception. One plus is that WWVH uses a female voice for the announcements rather than a male used on WWV.

Old radio joke: "My last gig was morning drive on WWV"

Ham shack...AM side: Knight-Kit T-60, RME-45
Vintage SSB side: National 200
Modern SSB: Kenwood TS-180S
MFJ tuner, 130' dipole
Audiokarma
Old 08-26-2018, 11:40 AM
VideoKarma Member

There seems to be some confusion about WWVB as shown here on swling.com:

https://swling.com/blog/2018/08/info...adio-stations/

The Casio g-shock watch page says thier watches WILL be affected:

https://www.g-central.com/usa-multi-...ible-shutdown/

jr
Old 08-26-2018, 03:39 PM
David Thomas

I (and many other ham operators) are taking notice of this, and are signing the petition. The shutdown of WWV will effect many people, and not just us radio guys. Besides, in the vast scheme of things, the cost to keep it on the air is negligible. As somebody else said, one trip to Mar-A-Lago would cover a big chunk of the entire NIST budget.
Old 08-26-2018, 06:51 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by electronjohn View Post
So-called "atomic" clocks actually use the digital signal from WWVB @ 60kHz for their timebase. WWVB evidently won't be affected by the shutdown.

That being said, the proposed shutdown seems to me to be a case of "cutting off your nose to spite your face". In the greater scheme of things, the operational costs are a tiny, tiny fraction of government spending. In fact, the government spends that amount on other things approximately every 30 seconds. WWV/WWVH as a source of accurate time information may be bordering on obsolete, but, as a source for extremely accurate frequency information they are invaluable...not to mention periodic updates on solar conditions, ocean weather, etc. "Internet time" may be useful for ordinary purposes, but there's an inherent lag of a few milliseconds in the time info.

And, like many, a WWV QSL card was among the first I received all those years ago. Ended up verifying them on all their frequencies, as well as WWVH on 5 & 10 mHz. 'VH is a tough catch here in the Midwest, propagation has to be just right to enable reception. One plus is that WWVH uses a female voice for the announcements rather than a male used on WWV.

Old radio joke: "My last gig was morning drive on WWV"
Until I read this post, I had no idea WWV was going to shut down.

I heard WWVH once years ago, here in northeastern Ohio, when I had a decent antenna for my HF ham radio station before I moved. WWV itself was in its hourly silent period, and one night I could hear WWVH very faintly in the background. I never heard WWVH again after that.

BTW: The shutdown of WWV will have a profound effect on many devices, particularly those which use the station's time signal to set the clock, etc. Witness what happened when TV went completely digital in 2009. Some VCRs, particularly Panasonic ones, used the time signal from the local PBS station to automatically set the clock; when TV went 100 percent digital, this feature was immediately rendered permanently useless. Computers use a time signal as well to set their system clocks, but that signal comes from the Internet; I don't think it is from WWV.

There is a government website operated by NIST, the URL of which is www.time.gov. This site provides the same time and frequency information as does WWV, so the imminent demise of the latter does not mean the end of the NIST's time/frequency standard services. The NIST website itself is www.nist.gov; it also provides essentially if not exactly the same services as WWV and the time.gov site I mentioned.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 08-27-2018, 08:36 PM
I like....big sparks!!

I signed the petition & passed the link along to a few others.

Ham shack...AM side: Knight-Kit T-60, RME-45
Vintage SSB side: National 200
Modern SSB: Kenwood TS-180S
MFJ tuner, 130' dipole
Old 08-27-2018, 10:16 PM
DTV blows

Hm... I have my Windows PC clock automatically set daily via time.nist.gov because if I don't, it goes wildly inaccurate, like ten minutes a week!
Old 08-28-2018, 08:57 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hate to see it go, its still useful to many. We will have CHU for
now though.......

73 Zeno
Old 08-31-2018, 01:25 AM
VideoKarma Member

Ads for the 6.3 Million Dollars

Do like PBS does now, Put commercials on for five seconds when the WWVH is talking and at WWVH put on commercials when WWV is talking and sponsor the $ 6.3 Million a Year.
Old 09-02-2018, 01:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

They should keep one frequency alive, say 10.00 MHz. Who will get these "protected" frequencies? I can hear Bro Stair on them.
Old 09-02-2018, 04:55 PM
David Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by kf4rca View Post
They should keep one frequency alive, say 10.00 MHz. Who will get these "protected" frequencies? I can hear Bro Stair on them.
That's funny. You know, WWV is one of the few stations on the shortwave bands without Brother Scare.
Old 09-03-2018, 07:18 AM
VideoKarma Member

I can hear Brother Stair saying, "Are you looking for WWV? You should be looking for God!"