Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Diagnostic & Test Equipment

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-22-2014, 02:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

Where would a fella get a used CRT...for a scope?

I have a Tektronix 453 O-scope (vintage 1969, 50MHz, 2-channel) with a burned out CRT filament. The CRT is a part number 154-0492-04.

Is there anywhere that sells these or is the scope best scrapped for donor parts?

cheers
Rob
Old 04-22-2014, 04:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

Try here:

http://www.sphere.bc.ca/test/tek-crts.html
Old 04-22-2014, 06:51 PM
Technohippie

Sphere is clearing out most of their Tek and HP parts inventory, including all the CRTs. I didn't see the tube for a 453 available on there.

Best bet would be eBay, look for a broken scope that gets some kind of trace on the screen. Loose CRTs show up occasionally, but the 453 is a popular model, and they sell quickly.

There is a CRT for a 453A on there now, but that won't fit the 453.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks guys.
Yeah mine's a pre A model. I'm going to scrap this one for parts. I got four good working scopes; two of them are 50 MHz or better. No big deal unless I could get the CRT cheap and fast. I hate to scrap a classic, but maybe others may live from the donor parts.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:24 AM
The glass is -3dB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTVM View Post
Thanks guys.
Yeah mine's a pre A model. I'm going to scrap this one for parts. I got four good working scopes; two of them are 50 MHz or better. No big deal unless I could get the CRT cheap and fast. I hate to scrap a classic, but maybe others may live from the donor parts.
If you haven't scrapped this one out yet, I may have a jug for you. I can't make any promises but I have a pair of scrap chassis from the 450 series in storage with relatives that might turn up what you need.

Alternatively if you _have_ scrapped yours out I might be interested in acquiring a few bits of it from you, so as to make one of my dust collectors into something that at least functions while collecting the dust. I'll check on what I need component-wise but I know I need one of the dual-shaft controls (inner shaft snapped clean off.) and two knobs, just off the top of my head.

I also have a pair of the HUGE 55x series chassis for spare parts if anyone needs... I'm the proud owner of complete functioning 551 with scope cart, and a whole herd of plugins. When someone refers to something as a "boatanchor" these are truly that. I think the main unit is about 85lbs, the power supply is another 60 easy, plus the cart and plugins. "My God. It's full of TUBES!" Doesn't even come close to expressing the thing.

I'm going to take stock of my boneyard when I find myself up in that part of the state again and give a general listing in the classifieds section.
Audiokarma
Old 11-19-2014, 09:39 AM
VideoKarma Member

Here: http://knoppix.net/store/New-Oem-Rep...297413038.html

and here is a reference of the CRT's the 453 can use:
http://www.reprise.com/host/tektroni...ind_by_crt.asp

Last edited by transmaster; 11-19-2014 at 09:42 AM.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:49 PM
Technohippie

There must have been different tubes used in the 453 then. The only ones I have seen used a ceramic envelope with glass neck, rather than the all glass bulb shown here.
Old 11-24-2014, 03:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

There used to be many guys in big trucks full of old test equipment that would pull up to every Hamfest I've been to from NH to FL. Saw a lot of 453's. Perhaps they still do this, I suggest contacting local clubs' planners and see if "the dudes" will be at the next one and what their contact info is. My 2.73 cents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTVM View Post
Is there anywhere that sells these or is the scope best scrapped for donor parts?
cheers Rob
Old 11-25-2014, 07:02 AM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks, all. I eneded up scrapping it, but the parts are going to good use.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:14 PM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

There is a cross reference for those who need it at
www.reprise.com/host/tektronix/

Hope this helps future folks in need. Look under Reference.
Audiokarma
Old 02-08-2016, 02:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

Fair Radio Sales also has some Tek parts.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:25 PM
Banned

That's funny I just picked up a 453 today at the local antique mall for $28 and to my knowledge (what little knowledge I have that is) its fully functioning although I've never used one of these before so I really have no idea how to properly test the functionality of it. Mine is missing the screen inserts if you happen to have the ones from the one you scrapped out available I would be interested in them.