Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-29-2018, 01:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

What to do with vintage VCR?

I have a 1979-vintage Magnavox VHS VCR (coming up on 40 years old). This is a Panasonic clone from that era, top loading, piano key controls, mechanical click-stop tuner, 2 & 4 hour recording times. They were expensive machines in their day and built like a boat anchor.

I haven't used this VCR in the last 30+ years, and I assume the belts probably have gone bad. I have a couple much newer VCR's in the event I want to watch an old archived tape.

So my question is -- should I send this VCR to the recycling center, or does anyone have a use for these ancient units? I'd gladly give it away to someone who wanted it, but obviously, shipping something this heavy is out of the question. I assume that old VCR's such as this one will have no collectable value at least in my lifetime.

I hate to throw out something that was an expensive and well built unit, but I'm getting to the age I need to start seriously downsizing my "stuff" . Any ideas appreciated!!