Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-18-2016, 10:30 PM
Alchemizes cash to tubes

Did Long Wave Only Radios Exist?

As far as radio collecting goes, I don't like to repeat functionality. I've managed to track down a Zenith FM only radio (7H918) and a Hallicrafters S-95 for what that's worth anymore. I know there really wasn't a consumer shortwave receiver without an AM section because of how easy it was to add that band, but was there ever a standalone tabletop longwave receiver?
Old 12-18-2016, 11:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

AFAIK No American LW-only radios were ever produced. There've been a few FM-only sets produced but only tube models. I had one long ago.
Old 12-19-2016, 06:12 AM
VideoKarma Member

Heard somewhere that long wave/FM radios used to be sold in France & Poland. Long wave was quite popular in those countries. They're shutting down long wave stations in most of Europe nowadays. Here in Britain there are 3 long wave transmitters still working carrying BBC Radio 4 all on 198khz (1515 metres) as a synchronised single frequency network. Most radios over here no longer have long wave just AM/FM. (AM here used to be called medium wave) I have a few older radios with long wave. The only English language stations are BBC Radio 4 & RTE 1 from Ireland on 252khz.

Long wave travels far: When I was based in West Germany near the then East German border (hundreds of miles away from Droitwich LW 400 KW's TX) we used to listen to the English top 40 as BBC Radio1 used to transmit on long wave for 2 hours between 5 & 7 PM on Sundays evenings, it was a highlight of our day, lol, sad lot weren't we?
Old 12-19-2016, 08:41 PM
Collector of heavy things

Some LW/VLF-only receivers were made for the military back in the day. One example is the RBA, which covers from 15 to 600kHz. There were likely at least a few others (the Collins R-389/URR, the LW counterpart to the R-390, covers 15 to 1,500kHz, so it doesn't quite count).
-Adam

Stereo: Pioneer SPEC-4, Pioneer SPEC-1, Kenwood KT-7500, Dual 1219, Nakamichi BX-100, Pioneer PD-M60, Paradigm Studio Monitors
Old 07-04-2021, 02:28 PM
I love old stuff

The person above me sayed about military radios that had only L.W. But as far for civilian radios, I never seen any L.W. only radio. L.W. might been popular in some European countries, but most A.M. broadcasting here was on M.W., so European made radio had at least L.W. + M.W. Some Asian imported ones had M.W. only (or only M.W. + F.M.).
Audiokarma