Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-26-2020, 09:59 AM
VideoKarma Member

Radio Shack High Performance radio.

I'm working on a Radio Shack radio, that is similar to a GE SuperRadio. Mono FM, tuned RF on the AM band, large speaker and uses 6 "D" cells, as well as AC.
I can't for the life of me, remove the back cover to get contact cleaner in the band selector, ETC. I removed every screw, six long ones and a short one in the battery compartment. I even removed the handle screws and the one holding the monopole antenna.
These radios were sold under the Optimus and Radio Shack brands.
Old 06-27-2020, 06:48 AM
VideoKarma Member

Looks like the plastic is just stuck. Sometimes the release agent used in manufacturing isn't fully cleaned and this stuff sort of acts like a weak adhesive after years of humidity and close contact.

I think you're going to have to crack it open and hope you don't crack the plastic in the process. You can try heating the seam with a heat gun (carefully!) or a hair dryer. If nothing else, the heat might prevent the plastic from cracking.

Good luck.

John
Old 06-27-2020, 12:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCT View Post
Looks like the plastic is just stuck. Sometimes the release agent used in manufacturing isn't fully cleaned and this stuff sort of acts like a weak adhesive after years of humidity and close contact.

I think you're going to have to crack it open and hope you don't crack the plastic in the process. You can try heating the seam with a heat gun (carefully!) or a hair dryer. If nothing else, the heat might prevent the plastic from cracking.

Good luck.

John
I have another radio, similar but a little older. I thing has one more screw holding the back and I removed them all. Same thing!
The back doesn't appear to be stuck around the edges. I can pry it open slightly on all sides. It seems to be held in the center.
Old 06-27-2020, 01:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
I have another radio, similar but a little older. I thing has one more screw holding the back and I removed them all. Same thing!
The back doesn't appear to be stuck around the edges. I can pry it open slightly on all sides. It seems to be held in the center.
Any chance another screw lurks beneath the model number sticker/plate? I also remember some radios using a rubber block between the speaker magnet and rear cabinet. I wonder if the rubber bonded to the plastic.

Again, some heat may help here.

John
Old 06-29-2020, 10:00 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCT View Post
Any chance another screw lurks beneath the model number sticker/plate? I also remember some radios using a rubber block between the speaker magnet and rear cabinet. I wonder if the rubber bonded to the plastic.

Again, some heat may help here.

John
I put them aside for now. The older model has one more screw holding the back, but the same results.
Audiokarma
Old 07-15-2020, 05:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

May be held together with claws. Try a few butter knifes.

Some the front comes off & the chassis stays with the back. In that
case pull all knobs. Check for hidden screws from front like under
knobs.

Rigs with cassette decks usually need the door in open position & then
door removed if it slides off.

73 Zeno
LFOD !