Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-08-2020, 05:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

1981 19" RCA XL-100 CTC108C no brightness after CRT cleaning

I was at an estate sale where they had a bunch of CRT sets for free, they were all black or silver plastic except this one, so I grabbed it. It had a greenish tint to the picture and the reds were smearing/flaring like a worn out tube so I thought it would be good practice using my crt tester/rejuvenator.

The green pegged the meter, the red was less than half and the blue was in the middle. I used the "cleaning" function of the tester on the red & blue guns and that brought their emissions up to where the green was. I set the gray scale and it made a great picture & the red flaring was gone. It ran like that for a several minutes, then I heard a snap like something arced, I looked at the back and barely caught another arc out of the corner of my eye on the crt neck board, but I don't know exactly where.

Now the picture is gone. It does have a dim raster. The color, tint and contrast all have an effect but not the brightness. I'm wondering if I created a short in the crt that caused the arc on the neck board and blew a component. The crt still tests strong. Any ideas are appreciated!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pic After.jpg (52.2 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg After cleaning.jpg (59.8 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg Before cleaning.jpg (69.5 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg CTC 108C.jpg (61.2 KB, 83 views)