Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Things with Motors

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:00 AM
Administrator

I'm entering into my 10th year of ownership on a 1985 Chevy G20 with the 305. I've put about 70-80K on it in that time (odometer shows 156K, but the speedo cable was broken for about a year, so God knows). All the GM antipollution stuff is still hooked up and working. Even has the original "computerized" Quadrajet carb.

It's got its quirks, but as long as I remain patient with it and don't mind screwdriver surgery once every month or two, she'll last me the rest of my life, even though the Buffalo snow and salt is taking its toll.

You'll probably need lower control arm bushings, your windshield will drip water on your right leg when it rains (happens to every one of these old vans), but other than that it will give you many years of reliable service. Mine gets at best 15 MPG on the highway whether it's fully loaded or empty.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:32 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri View Post

You'll probably need lower control arm bushings, your windshield will drip water on your right leg when it rains (happens to every one of these old vans), but other than that it will give you many years of reliable service. Mine gets at best 15 MPG on the highway whether it's fully loaded or empty.
Maybe ball joints too. Good thing is I think they used a lot of the same parts as the pickups, so they're still easy to find.

I used to have a boss that had a mid 80's diesel Vandura. He liked it and I don't remember him having any major trouble.

As Squirrel pointed out, they are different to drive if you're not used to them. I personally don't like them and I've driven them from GM, Ford, Dodge. I'm a big guy with big feet and they're not comfortable for me. They're noisy, have a hard ride, and will give you a workout on windy days. I like min-vans much better. Some people love them though.

As you already know those Detroit Diesel 6.2 engines are totally different from the lousy Olds diesels they put in cars. These have a pretty decent reputation and parts should still be easy to get.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:48 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri View Post
I'm entering into my 10th year of ownership on a 1985 Chevy G20 with the 305. I've put about 70-80K on it in that time (odometer shows 156K, but the speedo cable was broken for about a year, so God knows). All the GM antipollution stuff is still hooked up and working. Even has the original "computerized" Quadrajet carb.

Mine gets at best 15 MPG on the highway whether it's fully loaded or empty.
Perhaps a 2-barrel carb would help with the abysmal gas mileage?
Old 03-27-2014, 07:09 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KV-1926R View Post
Perhaps a 2-barrel carb would help with the abysmal gas mileage?
Urban myth. Two barrel carbs don't use less gas than 4 barrel carbs, unless you open up the secondaries every time you hit the gas.

New it probably had about 165 hp, and since then at least 30 have been shot and brought to the glue factory. As it approaches its 30th birthday, I'm just happy she comes to life every time I hit the key
Old 03-31-2014, 01:22 AM
VideoKarma Member

http://lancaster.craigslist.org/cto/4362152953.html

For 5k that guy is dreaming. If you have that kind of money budgeted, get yourself this '62 Imperial! V8 hemi, power everything, and 3 cigarette lighters!
Audiokarma