Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Things with Motors

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-28-2014, 03:20 PM
Not sure how I got here.

= Cars Stalling today leads to crashes and lawsuites =

Been reading about the big GM ignition recall. Bloomberg has this story about how the problem is hardest hitting to young drivers "ill equipped" to handle a car "suddenly turning off" as it's being driven.....

Sorry but this story deserves a small rant....

Not to be cold to the story, or deaths involved, but my "entry level car" not only stalled regularly, so did Mom's '70 Dodge 225 slant 6 wagon, Dad's Dodge Dart, my 2 Mustangs, and most of my friend's cars stalled too.....
Stalling use to be just one of those daily things you deal with while driving....

There were times I had to clean the fuel filter at a stop light....

My brakes would lock up the rear wheels in the rain.....

Poor traction in the snow....

Rusty brake lines broke a few times on my entry level car.....

Rain interfered with my power steering belt's friction coefficient......

Quote:
<< Sarah, then 19 years old, probably wouldn’t have known what to do, Trautwein said. “She was a young driver,” he said. “It would have probably freaked her out.”

Years after fatal accidents involving Cobalts, Saturn Ions and other recalled models, a grim picture is taking form. The now-recalled vehicles were predominantly entry-level cars marketed to first-time drivers. These same drivers, according to safety and auto experts, may have been among the least prepared to react to a sudden loss of power.

“It’s a young person’s car,” said Bill Visnic, senior editor at auto website Edmunds.com and a veteran of more than 20 years of vehicle test drives. “When you turn off the ignition and you lose power steering, especially, it’s a very panicky feeling.” >>

I think the public is becoming more stupid every day.....

While GM was wrong not to fix this in the year it was discovered, Stalling should be an expected event while driving, and if it results in a crash, it's mostly your fault..... My opinion.

Running out of gas will also result in a "sudden shut down" If a gas gauge does not go all the way into the red and runs out of gas and makes the driver "freak out" and wreck, will this be the next lawsuit ???

Just as I believe those people with Toyotas where the gas pedal stuck to the floor, but they could still dial their cell phone and document their pending lawsuit, but somehow couldn't put it in Neutral, and turn off the engine, need to be publicly spanked, and then sued themselves for the damage they have done.....

You really have to wonder, how many things in the future will people be unwilling to take responsibility for when it results in some kind of accident.

I had an accelerator stick once, not on the floor, just open where it was, local driving, I just took it into neutral, turned off the engine, and turned down a small street once it slowed down.....

Kids need to go back to buying $500. cars for their first car.......

NO Air bags......

Bring back Carburetors ! ! !

Steel Dash boards.......

NO Seat belts........

Go ahead and text while you drive a '72 mustang....

Bloomberg story..... http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-0...eadly-mix.html

Last edited by Username1; 03-28-2014 at 03:43 PM.