Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-11-2021, 10:18 AM
Motorola Minion

Silvertone "candy cane" by Arvin

https://radioatticarchives.com/radio.htm?radio=5072
I just restored one of these (1946 Ivory w/o pushbuttons) for a friend and it seems to work fine except reception gets worse then gone at the where a normally powerful 580 WHP is at. The station strength below 1000 KC is p***-poor.

Even after an alignment, RF side of the tuning capacitor has its screw tight for maximum. Is it possible that antenna lead extensions can cause this, by lowering inductance of the antenna loop?

I REALLY like these in particular as I found one in a trash dump on our property when I was 8. My dad forbade me from plugging it in but I never forgot the coolness of a table radio with 4 preset buttons a Great Aunt once used. Why it was tossed in a woods dump so long ago, Im not sure but I think the magic smoke escaped.

Last week at the Kutztown PA event, I bought a brown model 3351 with those buttons. At a price of $30, it was a bargain to me considering the attachment. An earlier version of an AA5: 12A8 and 12K7 was used instead of the post-war 12SA7 and 12SK7 tubes. The 35Z4 is instead a 35Z5.

There is a separate filter choke, field coil speaker and a C-7 dial lamp in both versions. This makes them unique as typical plastic AA5 sets go.

Last edited by DavGoodlin; 05-11-2021 at 10:21 AM.
Old 05-11-2021, 11:13 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGoodlin View Post
https://radioatticarchives.com/radio.htm?radio=5072
I just restored one of these (1946 Ivory w/o pushbuttons) for a friend and it seems to work fine except reception gets worse then gone at the where a normally powerful 580 WHP is at. The station strength below 1000 KC is p***-poor.

Even after an alignment, RF side of the tuning capacitor has its screw tight for maximum. Is it possible that antenna lead extensions can cause this, by lowering inductance of the antenna loop?

I REALLY like these in particular as I found one in a trash dump on our property when I was 8. My dad forbade me from plugging it in but I never forgot the coolness of a table radio with 4 preset buttons a Great Aunt once used. Why it was tossed in a woods dump so long ago, Im not sure but I think the magic smoke escaped.

Last week at the Kutztown PA event, I bought a brown model 3351 with those buttons. At a price of $30, it was a bargain to me considering the attachment. An earlier version of an AA5: 12A8 and 12K7 was used instead of the post-war 12SA7 and 12SK7 tubes. The 35Z4 is instead a 35Z5.

There is a separate filter choke, field coil speaker and a C-7 dial lamp in both versions. This makes them unique as typical plastic AA5 sets go.
I have one of those sets! It uses the grid cap tubes as well.
I have to look at it again! Hard to keep track of so many radios.