Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Things with Motors

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-18-2016, 01:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

old cars why I love them

I took my old Datsun 280z on a road trip, at the end (good timing) the water pump let go. this was on a Sunday. AZ had one in the warehouse, they would have it by 2 pm (it was 9 am when I ordered it). 2pm I pick it up, an about 1 hour later its installed with just a couple sockets. only had to loosen the alt, remove the fan, unbolt and back in. Drove home no issues, 20$ for the pump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3-yMfO6YYs
Old 10-19-2016, 12:47 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Cool! Gotta love the simplicity of older cars.

That's a popular vintage car. I reckon the kind I go for would be laid up for weeks while seeking out such a part.
Old 10-19-2016, 10:08 AM
VideoKarma Member

they have a pretty good following so not too hard to get parts. Engine stuff is easy. The American made muscle cars seem to have the best support as far as parts. I look at new cars and they seem like appliances to me, that and over priced, I guess to support all the new tech, but since that is not something I want or care for its like buying a remote TV and never using the remote.

I am moving away from TV's and more into cars now a days, hope to have a nice shop when I retire.
Old 10-19-2016, 10:59 AM
M is for Memory

Yeah, I know what you mean. Even the more expensive systems in My Lincoln Mark V (AC compressor, power steering/braking units) rarely run over $200. It is nice having a car that has an engine that was in muscle cars and in trucks till the mid 90's since parts support is good on the important stuff....Trim and vehicle specific stuff not so much, but luckily that stuff has mostly held up or been easy to patch together, or fallen in my lap through dumb luck/providence.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 10-19-2016, 11:03 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWM View Post
they have a pretty good following so not too hard to get parts. Engine stuff is easy. The American made muscle cars seem to have the best support as far as parts. I look at new cars and they seem like appliances to me, that and over priced, I guess to support all the new tech, but since that is not something I want or care for its like buying a remote TV and never using the remote.

I am moving away from TV's and more into cars now a days, hope to have a nice shop when I retire.
There's quite a few classic car collectors in the complex where I have my warehouse and workshop.
One building owner has five Corvettes and a Camaro, all classics and all in pristine condition. He's not the only one. There a many others.
When I bought my building, thirteen years ago, the salesman mentioned this type of building was more common in the southern states and is just started to get popular up here.
Audiokarma
Old 10-19-2016, 12:03 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWM View Post
I took my old Datsun 280z on a road trip, at the end (good timing) the water pump let go. this was on a Sunday. AZ had one in the warehouse, they would have it by 2 pm (it was 9 am when I ordered it). 2pm I pick it up, an about 1 hour later its installed with just a couple sockets. only had to loosen the alt, remove the fan, unbolt and back in. Drove home no issues, 20$ for the pump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3-yMfO6YYs
My 1974 Civic had a bad water pump back in 1983 - and my 17-year-old sister needed to borrow it. She swapped it out, drove it and did a right good job too. Dad and I were no where around, so she somehow figured it out on her own.

She also replaced a light switch once WITHOUT pulling the fuse and without getting zapped, so she has her moments too.....

Yes, I do miss the easy, No-ECU cars....
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 10-20-2016, 07:42 AM
VideoKarma Member

The easiest water pump I ever did was on a 93 Lincoln Mark VIII. It looked like it would be a nightmare on that 4.6 DOHC shoe-horned in to that engine bay. But you literally take the belt off, drain the coolant, take out 3 bolts and it pulls right out. It even has an o-ring, so there's no screwing around with gaskets! I was all set for a huge job, and it was less than an hour easily.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

Alot of old cars are extremely complex more so than new

My 79 mark v water pump took four days bht i am metiulous with every thing. My expert friend it would take 4 hours complete. It took four hours just to get it off. I told him i thought you meant 4 for the entire job which he did.
A 64 thunderbird dash and a/c system was a real doozie. Now i am doing same to mark v which is much easier that that pretty tbird. It was like the one on a beach boys album cover beside thier other hotrods.
Old 02-01-2017, 01:07 PM
Motorola Minion

I had an '83 VW GTI that had tall gears. Even in 5th gear, the engine ran at 4000 rpm doing 70 mph. The pulley reduction was as good as possible but still, water pumps took a beating and I changed 4 of them over the 180K miles I put on it. It helped that the pump was at the bottom of the timing cover.
Old 06-10-2018, 07:43 AM
I love old stuff

Modern cars do have too many electronics. They aren't space ships in order to need so many electronics in them... I want a car, not a computer.
Audiokarma