Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-26-2005, 06:56 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixt8mopar
Well I went ahead and plugged it in.Let it sit for about 20 mins. and there was no fire,just a hint of burning dust which cleared right up.Nothing on the screen and no sound at all.All the tubes are glowing nicely.The back of the crt,where it plugs in, is glowing as well.I guess I will start pulling it apart maybe next week and start checking things out.Any suggestions.......
Did you plug it in directly?

If there is no sound (not even hum?) or raster then you probably have a low voltage power supply problem, (low voltage in this case means something around 400 volts so be careful)
Does this set have a 5U4 tube, that one tube with the shoulders looks like one.
Anyway, if it does, that will be the low voltage rectifier. check to see if it's lighting, a shorted or leaky filter cap can blow the heaters right out on that tube or cause the plates to glow orange.

You can also check the voltage at the filter cap attached to the 5U4, should be several hundred volts, if not the cap or tube may be bad.

Even if you get the LV power supply working correctly the set will probably need the paper caps replaced to make the rest of it function right
Old 03-26-2005, 07:58 PM
AK Subscriber

I did plug it in directly.There is no hum at all,nothing.The tube you are asking about appears to be lit normally,or appears normal.I guess some sort of schematic would help so I can measure voltages and test/check tubes.I am really getting into this thing now.It sure is a beautiful TV.

Mancave:Yamaha C-6, M-2, T-1, CDX-1110u, KX-930, PF-800, AR9's
Old 03-26-2005, 11:37 PM
console lover

Wild stab in the dark: It looks like a two-tube rectifier setup using (perhaps) 6AX5GT types. If I'm correct, they're the tubes directly above the shouldered one. Its identity is a puzzlement; another wild stab would 6Y6G. Isn't there a tube location chart pasted to the interior of the cabinet?