Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-12-2014, 07:23 PM
Vintage Junkie

Talking [Salvaged] 1987 Toshiba V-1200C VCR

Hello again.

Thought I would share another VCR that I salvaged from the crusher awhile back. My initial plan for this Toshiba VCR when i first acquired it, was to simply take the supply reel back tension band and use it for another project I am working on and then just junk this VCR. Since the belt wouldn't work with my other VCR, I was stuck with what to do with this Toshiba, since I never intended to fix/ use it. I did notice that it had been serviced at one point *part of the reason I took it* but when I tried to play a tape the roller guides would not engage the roller guide track to the head turns out the loading motor belt was worn out, no biggie just replaced with a elastic band and TADA! back from the dead Seriously I have to really admire you guys who worked on these all day, I think I would have been tearing my hair out like Homer Simpson from frustration Anyway it's all good now. So i present to you my 1987 Toshiba Model V-1200C.
Old 09-12-2014, 07:29 PM
Vintage Junkie

Forgot to ask what the STD, HRC, IRC, OSD and CFM stand/used for.
Old 09-12-2014, 07:49 PM
Technohippie

OSD--On Screen Display
CFM--Confirm (used to confirm program settings)

No idea on the other ones..

VCR repairs "back in the day" were 90% mechanical. Worn/slipping/broken belts. Idler tires/clutches, or damaged front loading mechanisms. Lots of dirty/damaged video heads from playing creased/poorly spliced rental tapes.

Early VHS units used incandescent bulbs for the tape end sensors, and the bulb would burn out causing the unit to lock itself out to prevent tape damage.

Main electrical problems I saw were Panasonics (PV-1225 and others) with burned up SMPS. Most units used linear supplies, which were usually pretty reliable. Now, of course, these things are getting into the age where leaky or dried up caps start to become an issue.

Last edited by N2IXK; 09-12-2014 at 08:00 PM.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

Good score !
Old 09-14-2014, 12:28 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

STD (standard), HRC, and IRC are three different standards for cable-TV channel numbering and frequencies. You will see them on many "cable-ready" TV sets and VCRs.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Audiokarma
Old 10-02-2014, 06:12 AM
VideoKarma Member

very nice
Old 10-02-2014, 07:51 AM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

IRC Incrementally Related Carrier, HRC Harmonic Related Carrier, two obsolete cable channel methods. STD is standard broadcast.

OSD is On Screen display. Not familiar or more likely not recalling what CFM is, maybe a Toshiba thing.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:55 AM
Analogue is Awesome

Very nice my friend....Im glad a rubber band helped ya
Old 10-03-2014, 03:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

Did Toshiba always build their VCR's, or were they outsourced in later years? I have a new-in-box Toshiba W-612 hi-fi VCR I purchased more than 10 years ago as a spare, but never used. I was just curious if it is worthy of keeping or if it's an outsourced Funai or Orion junker.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachboy View Post
Did Toshiba always build their VCR's, or were they outsourced in later years? I have a new-in-box Toshiba W-612 hi-fi VCR I purchased more than 10 years ago as a spare, but never used. I was just curious if it is worthy of keeping or if it's an outsourced Funai or Orion junker.
Funai, not so great, Orion, doesn't appear to be too bad.
I've had good success with Orion-built Toshiba products. They seem to be a lot better, than the last of the Panasonic VCR's. I won't touch one of them. From a firm, that built one of the best VCR's, to the poorest excuses of a VCR.
Audiokarma
Old 10-09-2014, 09:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
Funai, not so great, Orion, doesn't appear to be too bad.
I've had good success with Orion-built Toshiba products. They seem to be a lot better, than the last of the Panasonic VCR's. I won't touch one of them. From a firm, that built one of the best VCR's, to the poorest excuses of a VCR.
Thanks for the info! I have three of the later-model Orion-built Toshiba TV's and have good luck with them. Good to know that the Orion-built VCR's are decent too. I didn't realize that the last generation of Panasonic VCR's were poor quality. Except for that lone Toshiba VCR, every other VCR I own is Panasonic, since I always believed they were at the top for quality. Hopefully mine were built before the quality took a dive.
Old 10-12-2014, 01:46 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachboy View Post
That VCR was made by Samsung.
Old 10-12-2014, 12:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

On the older Toshibas, the most common problem was a failed loading motor. If it did fail, you would hear a big crunchy noise or no movement at all due to broken bearings inside the motor.

But despite that, Consumer Reports rated Toshiba as the second most-reliable VCR brand after Panasonic. Toshiba was considered a "Honda" like brand back in 1980s with Panasonic closer to "Toyota".

Last edited by waltchan; 10-12-2014 at 12:08 PM.
Old 10-12-2014, 05:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks for the info, waltchan! Appreciate your help!