Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-02-2016, 10:02 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco-nix View Post
well . fake or not , I'm not sure what you say is a good thing for anyone, man ... Do not talk too much to say nothing . when you find a TV that pleases us, whether manufactured in the US or Canada, what does that change anything in your life? A vintage TV is always good to take, no matter her beauty or her condition, dear sir. I am Canadian and if I said the same thing when I find a TV that comes from elsewhere, it would be insulting to those from elsewhere in my sens..Voila my rant that does not happen often and I hope it will not happen again either !! ..

Have a great day to all..

That's the nicest rant I've ever seen, the only thing missing is an apology.

No, you are exactly right. I will always take a vintage tv, regardless if it is my "taste" or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1997 RCA Colortrak 27" Console
1987 Zenith 19" V3912W
Old 08-02-2016, 10:36 AM
VideoKarma Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco-nix View Post
well . fake or not , I'm not sure what you say is a good thing for anyone, man ... Do not talk too much to say nothing . when you find a TV that pleases us, whether manufactured in the US or Canada...
Wow, I can't believe that 10-month old post is finally being rebuked. What took you so long?

Anyway, my interpretation of Olorin67's post is very similar to Tom's. The guy doesn't like that style of cabinetry, and the US & Canadians both had the gall to build them against his wishes.

But that's just his opinion, and it if isn't the same as yours, it's still no big deal. It wasn't an insult to the Canadians, as it put them on par with Americans like himself. Or did you think he was insulting both Americans & Canadians? If he was, shame on him. But I know him, and he was not intending to hurt anyone's feelings, nor did he intend to insult Canadians.

But back in the day those sets were being built, a lot of people did appreciate that style, verified by the number that were sold and still exist. That just shows a large percentage of Americans & Canadians both had poor taste in the day.

Now for my honest opinion: I agree with Olorin67; I think those sets are ugly.

Old 08-02-2016, 01:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

No probs Electronic M. and,.. I don't use a translator from english to french . yes i speak french,, the poetic language loll..
Old 08-11-2016, 06:01 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
Last I fired it up the grid stayed still. Dirty service switch maybe? There's a blue shaping control I unfortunately cannot adjust because it requires a diddle stick.

There's a coil next to the fly. I wonder if this is for adjusting HV because I'd like to be able to swap in something other than the extra-leaded 25VCXP22. Not that I'm afraid of the lead, it's just that the exact CRT is hard to locate.
I don't have a schematic and doubt I can get one easily.
Old 10-05-2016, 04:29 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Okay, I can forget the blue shaping control. I found service info for a similar chassis that says it's factory pre-set and not to touch it.

Anyway, the CRT is in better shape than I thought. I fixed the cold joint on the left horizontal blue control and re-installed the convergence board. However, I'm having trouble with blue static convergence, the up/down control. I can get red and green to sync no problem, but I can't get blue spot-on no matter what I do. A resistor in the area of the cold joint gets very warm and the knob on that control was discolored and broke off when I tried to adjust it. Perhaps that resistor has gone bad?
Audiokarma
Old 10-12-2016, 08:10 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Well, because of that hot-running resistor I tried adjusting the blue shaping coil. I figured whoever threw off convergence so badly messed with it anyway. I tried to use my meter with the peak hold function on to measure peak voltage, but no dice. I don't think that meter ever worked very well for me and now I think it's had the biscuit. My alignment tool soon stripped and I couldn't back the slug out, but that resistor is running a lot cooler and no others I've checked are getting hot.

I finally found the right service manual so I should be able to get most of my questions answered soon. I have one more though that should be easy enough for someone with an ECG catalog to answer for me...

This set has a Varo MH1203E01 tripler. What does it cross to?
Old 10-12-2016, 09:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

Jon found the main part of the part number but not the E01 but all ones with that main number are all ECG523. Hope that is just a variant for Electrohome. All the best Tom.J
Old 10-12-2016, 10:26 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom.j.fla View Post
Jon found the main part of the part number but not the E01 but all ones with that main number are all ECG523. Hope that is just a variant for Electrohome. All the best Tom.J
Excellent, thanks Tom. I saw a topic on another forum that mentions a Varo tripler and that the last part of the code doesn't matter. You're probably right about it being it being an Electrohome variant; the topic is about an Advent Videobeam front projection TV, which I read use Electrohome chassis and whose original tripler code ended with E01.

Last edited by Jon A.; 10-12-2016 at 10:31 PM.
Old 10-19-2016, 02:07 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

I've gotten the blue static convergence near perfect by subbing the unusual replacement blue lateral with one from my Zenith flatty. The original fell apart during cleaning. It still has a red purity issue I can't correct with the neck magnets or manual degaussing but I've done my best to compensate. I'll experiment with correction magnets eventually... or maybe not. I haven't touched the setup controls in months.

Last edited by Jon A.; 03-25-2017 at 03:55 AM. Reason: Just an update.
Old 03-25-2017, 04:04 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

While I was tracing wires under the chassis the degaussing thermistor fell apart. My schematic doesn't indicate its value and I don't have a complete parts list. There are numbers along the edge: 60-01 or maybe 10-09 if I'm reading it upside-down. I don't know if that's its value or what.

Edit: I finally found an original service manual, so now I can always get the information I need.

Last edited by Jon A.; 03-26-2017 at 02:49 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 03-25-2017, 09:58 PM
sampson159

beautiful set.
Old 04-29-2017, 08:11 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Re-cap time?

Thanks Ron. I'll always be doing my best to keep this one running.

I think it's time for new e-caps. It's been having intermittent video problems for a while and now the picture has gone all screwy, so I've swapped it out with a console a few years newer until I can fix it. I don't want to risk catastrophic failure of something harder to get my hands on.

There's at least one e-cap marked "bi-polar"; I know what this is but don't know why it's in this set. I have to check a couple others under the chassis but so far it seems the rest are polarized.

There are also three oddball caps I hadn't seen the likes of before. I've attached a photo.

I've attached a screenshot as well, in hopes someone will recognize the symptoms and confirm that the caps are going bad. It's full of el-cheapo e-caps, many marked "Singapore".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mystery cap.jpg (78.3 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Caps gone wild.jpg (37.5 KB, 27 views)
Old 04-29-2017, 08:48 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

The cap you've circled is some type of film cap, and I think not likely to be a problem, but maybe someone with direct experience can comment.
Old 04-30-2017, 12:31 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Yes, they're poly caps, I found them on the parts list. There must have been some production changes as the parts list for the main PCB for example shows only 12 of the 13 e-caps. I went through the whole thing to make up a list and plot their locations. There's just that one non-polar cap. Then there are the power supply cans, a two section and a three section.

By the way, I appreciate the input.

Last edited by Jon A.; 05-01-2017 at 03:52 PM.