Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-20-2017, 11:01 AM
<----Zenith C845

My Roku player works just as intended with HD content (16:9 aspect ratio), and the picture looks just fine for my purposes. (I have a 19" flat screen HDTV.) As for programs on the retro subchannels, almost all of which were filmed or taped in 4:3 aspect ratio, I do get the usual black bars at either side of the picture (letterbox) on most of them; however, I simply set the zoom controls for cinema mode when I am watching these channels. The picture then fills my screen, but with some distortion, which is to be expected. The only time I don't reset the aspect ratio is when MeTV, especially, shows programs that very nearly fill the screen. These programs do show small black bars at both sides of the picture, but they are so narrow as to be practically unnoticeable. PBS's DTV subchannels do not, by and large, show these bars, but then again most if not all PBS programs are filmed or taped in 16:9 HD, so no adjustment is required.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 06-20-2017 at 11:09 AM.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:03 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by user181 View Post
How interesting! I don't have one, but may give this a try.

The HDMI2AV device has been around for a few years, but this is a new variation with the zoom function. Might be just what we need.

I would also like a device that has composite input and output that provides zoom & stretch functions so that I could correct signals from my DTV converter boxes (which are already composite).
There are ways around that...Got a computer? If so get an TV tuner card with analog inputs (some tune DTV too*) to feed what you are watching into your computer watch it on your computer and feed your computer's DVI or DisplayPort monitor output connector through an HDMI adapter cable to the HDMI box and zoom with the HDMI box....You may be able to use the computer as a DVR as an added plus to this setup.

* I can recommend one assuming it is still on the market.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Last edited by Electronic M; 06-20-2017 at 11:09 AM.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:26 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffhs View Post
My Roku player works just as intended with HD content (16:9 aspect ratio), and the picture looks just fine for my purposes. (I have a 19" flat screen HDTV.)

We're not talking about modern TVs though.

We're talking about displaying these video signals on older 4:3 analog TVs which do not have the capability to adjust the aspect ratio.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:02 PM
console lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by colectorad View Post
Has anyone tried one of these?

Yes. Do NOT waste your money. Unless the zoom is your top priority, as there is none whatsoever. It is also makes a dim image which may or may not sync vertically. The latter issue might have to do with a defective NTSC/PAL switch. In short, it's a piece of shit.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:37 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Roper View Post
Yes. Do NOT waste your money. Unless the zoom is your top priority, as there is none whatsoever. It is also makes a dim image which may or may not sync vertically. The latter issue might have to do with a defective NTSC/PAL switch. In short, it's a piece of shit.

When you say "there is none whatsoever," are you saying the zoom does not work?
Audiokarma
Old 06-23-2017, 08:37 PM
console lover

I'm saying it letterboxes 16:9 content 100% into a 4:3 frame. The cherry on top is that is that it pillar boxes 4:3 content into the letterboxed frame. Dimly. 17 bux is a lot to pay for a squishy two-foot USB cord, which is the only usable thing I got out of it.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

I may have found a converter that scales properly but I'm not sure yet.
Old 06-24-2017, 01:30 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Quote:
I'm saying it letterboxes 16:9 content 100% into a 4:3 frame. The cherry on top is that is that it pillar boxes 4:3 content into the letterboxed frame. Dimly. 17 bux is a lot to pay for a squishy two-foot USB cord, which is the only usable thing I got out of it.
Got any reference photos? There's very little documentation available.

Magnavox 19C315-CC, Emerson ECT-1300A (TM0110E), Sears 401.50300900
Old 06-24-2017, 10:00 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:

And is that with or without the zoom engaged? You're making it sound like the zoom button doesn't do anything.
Old 06-24-2017, 02:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

When I was searching for an HDMI converter I specifically chose this one for the zoom feature:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HDMI-to-CVBS...UAAOSwA4dWLd54

I have an Apple TV connected to it, and in turn the converter is connected to an RF modulator feeding into a mid-80s Zenith TV. Picture quality is excellent, and the unit itself seems to be well made.

Most of my viewing consists of Netflix and YouTube videos. 90% of the time I have no issues with black bars on my screen, except for older YouTube videos with a different aspect ratio (black pillars) and the occasional movie in cinema format. Considering how well the setup works, I can live with the odd video that doesn't fill the screen.
Audiokarma
Old 06-25-2017, 08:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

If given a 16:9 signal, does that converter scale the image properly for a 4:3 screen (black bars on top and bottom)?
Old 06-25-2017, 09:21 PM
console lover

The one I posted about does that. There is no zoom button. So again, if that's the sum total of what you care about, I guess it would be ideal for you. Also again, the image is much dimmer than my Radio Shack converter. Buyer beware.
Old 06-28-2017, 04:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outland View Post
If given a 16:9 signal, does that converter scale the image properly for a 4:3 screen (black bars on top and bottom)?
The unit I have will scale 16:9 videos so that they fill the whole screen with no black bars. Unfortunately, 4:3 videos appear as squares with black pillars on each side. I have yet to find a workaround for that, but considering most content is 16:9 I just live with it.
Old 06-29-2017, 02:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. View Post
The unit I have will scale 16:9 videos so that they fill the whole screen with no black bars. Unfortunately, 4:3 videos appear as squares with black pillars on each side. I have yet to find a workaround for that, but considering most content is 16:9 I just live with it.

That's the problem I experience with certain OTA broadcasts. Is there any insight as to why that occurs?
Old 06-30-2017, 10:45 AM
VideoKarma Member

I just ordered one of these converters:

http://ebay.to/2ttYFIm

Whenever it arrives, I'll share my observations of its performance.
Audiokarma