Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-25-2004, 10:08 PM
heathkit tv

Quote:
Originally posted by veg-o-matic
Come to think of it, isn't that the same thing as a roundie color TV? I could watch them both for hours, mesmerized. 'Course the Zenith has a larger choice of channels. On the other hand, there's no cable channel that'll let you see your underwear getting friendly with the towels...
Can you imagine coming home drunk and deciding to do some laundry and then mistakenly trying to stuff clothes into the TV?

Anthony
Old 02-25-2004, 10:18 PM
Administrator

Fantastic!!!

I noticed the center set is showing a program, you can just make it out.

Quote:
Originally posted by veg-o-matic
This was the "picture of the day" at classicappliances.com.
Bob
Old 02-26-2004, 02:19 AM
AK Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CELT
I can see it now...for a slight fee on your monthly cable bill, you can view THE LAUNDRY CHANNEL which features agitation, spinning and enough suds for the entire family!
It'd be better than most of the rubbish on British TV... Plus I can only get 4 channels (not even Channel 5) as we can't have satellite dishes installed and there's no cable in our street. On top of that there's no "Freeview" digital TV either, so seeing clothes going round would be more fulfilling than the nth reality TV programme and boring house remodelling programme.

I heard a rumour that somewhere there's a fishtank channel where you can, err, watch fish all day. Anyone know if this is true?
Or wonder, till it drives you mad,
What would have followed if you had
Old 02-26-2004, 01:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
It'd be better than most of the rubbish on British TV... Plus I can only get 4 channels (not even Channel 5) as we can't have satellite dishes installed and there's no cable in our street. On top of that there's no "Freeview" digital TV
And I thought that TV in Europe was supposed to be better than American TV. Do you still have to pay a TV tax there? Something about having to have a license just to receive TV, much less transmit it.

Last edited by wa2ise; 01-18-2006 at 11:55 PM.
Old 02-26-2004, 02:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

The Picture of the Day

Hey guys, I’m glad you enjoyed yesterday’s Picture of the Day. That is a new picture that I just scanned over the weekend from a 1951 Calendar and added to the POD library. I have 90 Picture-of-the–Days saved on the server at my web site (www.classicappliances.com) and I wrote a program to change the POD everyday at 1:00am central time. I was thinking it would be fun to add a second Picture of the Day button to Classic Appliances dedicated to Vintage Television Sets but I don’t quite have enough pictures and ads to scan as of yet, but I’m getting there.

By the way, if anyone has vintage ”television set” commercials that they can copy and send to me, I can digitize them and add them to our web sites video library so everyone here can download and enjoy them.

Yes, we have do have lots of videos of antique automatic washers running, at first glance that might seem truly “bananas”, but most of these early automatic washers are as rare or even rarer than the CT100. Each brand of washer does its washing process in a very different manner from the next brand, unlike modern washing machines that now all wash in same boring way, so it’s important show how the machine actually worked. In the early days there was a lot of creative thinking going on by the appliance manufacturers, but today it’s generally all the same, just like TV’s now for the most part all come in a black plastic box. Finally in the past few years, appliances as well as TVs seem to be going through a technological advancement after 20 or so years of very little progress.
Audiokarma
Old 02-26-2004, 02:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

I've ventured over to the classicappliances site a few times after hearing about it on "that home site". Too bad I don't need more things to collect! Have to do with some mixmasters & vacuum cleaners.

One old tv commercial sticks in my head. It was featured on a PBS show outlining the decline of the US electronics industry & Japan's rise. Lots of talk about RCA, with the "good days" illustrated by a neat ad for RCA color tv-a cartoon character singing "her hair is red, her eyes are blue...". I can still hear that little guy singing in my head, though I've only heard him once, over 10 years ago!
Old 02-26-2004, 04:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

Not really a TV photo but a monitor, Still interesting though.
I grabbed these shots off a DVD 1961 Broadcast of Nat King Cole.
At the end of the last song the camera pans around 360 degrees and shows the audience and B/W monitors.
Jim
Old 02-26-2004, 11:49 PM
Administrator

Old couple and their Zenith Porthole

From eBay
Old 02-27-2004, 02:59 AM
AK Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wa2ise
And I thought that TV in Europe was supposed to be better than American TV. Do you still have to pay a TV tax there? Something about having to have a license just to receive TV, much less transmit it.
Yep - £98 last year IIRC for a service covering digital TV - a service I can't get. You're supposed to be able to get a discount if in "poor reception areas" but I don't. I don't see why I should fund digital TV if I can't receive it. Grrrr. Sorry - whine over. Oh - at least registered blind people get a half price licence now - none of that patronising 50p off any more.

I'd not mind so much, but ITV/CH4 are getting EXACTLY like US TV - not so much the programming, as the frequency of the ads and the fact that even WITH the ads, every programme is sponsored by something.

I actually preferred US TV when I was there for a fortnight in 1992 (I was 16) - for one thing, you lot had McGiver (sp?) episodes waaaaaay in advance of the UK. But those damn TV ads...

Mind you, in the late 80s here in the UK, I actually generally preferred the adverts to the programmes on ITV! He he...

Why oh why do they insist on making the adverts about 100dB louder than the programmes though? I might well check out the phenomenon on the level meters on my video at some point to see just HOW much louder they are... I hate that!
Old 02-27-2004, 04:55 AM
_______

Hey fella's

I have a Marconi Stereo Console that looks almost identical to the Elvis console TV. Save the TV of course, and the extra trim at the bottom. Was this console style a popular design?

Greg
Audiokarma
Old 02-27-2004, 08:47 AM
VideoKarma Member

In North Carolina where my family is from, Thomasville is a very big furniture producing town.
I used to service cnc equipment for several of the big furniture makers, Drexel-Heritage for one.
When I asked about tv cabinets one of the workers there told me they made them for several tv manufacturers, Most of the time with only slight changes between makers.
I noticed my Motorola Drexel entertainment center has the same cabinet as an RCA of the same year, With the only change being the color of the speaker cloth.
Old 02-29-2004, 02:56 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally posted by Charlie
I think the flash probably washed out the picture on the CRT. Seems that the entire photo is kinda bright... as if the flash was a bit too much for that particular shot. Back then, they didn't exactly have electronic flashes that could be adjusted. Many cameras today can have the flash "turned down". Most of us here at AK probably take SEVERAL pictures of our sets operating and then choose one to post on AK. I usually find that I have to turn the flash OFF or on LOW to get a decent shot.

As far as the set in the picture, I doubt it is the "first Philco" as the seller says in the description. I think Marlin is right... it looks more like a Crosley.

Considering how expensive TV was years ago, you'd think those folks would have put it on something more fitting. Notice how much of the TV cabinet hangs over the sides. Also, would be neat to know what those kids were watching... Howdy Doody perhaps? Damn flash bulb!

Charlie,

I have a cheap Polaroid digital camera with no flash, which works great and makes good pictures as long as there's enough light on the scene you're photographing. (The only thing I don't like about my camera is it eats batteries like crazy, which is why I don't use it very often.) I've posted several of those pics here on AK (I took the pic which is my avatar with this camera; several others, mostly of my antique radios, are attached to messages I've posted in this and other AK forums such as the antique radio board), and do in fact usually take several pictures, selecting the best one to post here. Haven't done much with snapping pictures from a TV screen with the set on, though. I've tried, but even without a flash the pictures don't turn out well. I once tried to snap a pic of a scene from "The Rockford Files" on WGN with the digital camera, but the picture turned out worse than anything I've ever taken with any camera I've ever had in my life. My Vivitar 35mm film camera, which does have a very bright flash, makes better pictures in low-light situations than my Polaroid digital, probably because of the fact that the Polaroid does not have any kind of flash; in fact, the camera is so cheap ($39.50--I bought it through an ad on the Internet a couple years ago) it doesn't even have provisions for an external flash unit. Ironically, it does have a tripod socket, and I have a tripod that fits it. The pictures I take are better now than they used to be (the camera doesn't move when I press the shutter button), but I won't be taking pictures that look as good as the ones I see on other posts here until I can see my way clear to getting a decent digital camera with a flash. Don't get me wrong; I'm not a cheapskate. I just can't afford a good digital camera right now. (You guys probably have digital cameras with 3-megapixel or better resolution; I have no idea what the resolution is on mine.)

Oh well, you get what you pay for, as the saying goes.

BTW, about TV stands, I agree with your comments that those older sets (as well as modern ones, of course) would have looked better on a stand that actually fit them. My best guess is that whomever owned that particular set you mentioned just put it on whatever was available at the time, when he/she took the picture.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 02-29-2004, 03:25 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally posted by wa2ise
{quote] It'd be better than most of the rubbish on British TV... Plus I can only get 4 channels (not even Channel 5) as we can't have satellite dishes installed and there's no cable in our street. On top of that there's no "Freeview" digital TV

I find it unusual that you cannot have a satellite dish and that there is no cable available in your area (at least, as you mention, not on your street). Do you live in an apartment building or some other antenna-restricted environment, such as a condominium complex? Also, what is the problem with cable in your area? I live in a small town that has cable everywhere, although we need it here as the reception is extremely poor on most VHF channels from Cleveland. I am about 45 miles southwest of the transmitters for the VHF stations; ironically, I get all four of the city's UHF channels--19, 43, 55 and 61--just great, even with rabbit ears. I think the reason I get 19, which is the CBS affiliate for Cleveland and northeastern Ohio, so well on an antenna is that its transmitter is just about 15 miles southwest of here, in a suburb of Cleveland called Shaker Heights. Channel 43 is UPN in Cleveland and has a 5-megawatt [ERP] transmitter, which explains why it comes in here so well. Channels 55 and 61 are also very high-power stations; the picture on 61 is like a picture postcard even on rabbit ears. The PBS channel in Cleveland, channel 25, is very poor on rabbit ears and probaly not much better on an outdoor antenna. On cable, of course, every station looks great, especially since the cable company in this area (Comcast) rebuilt and upgraded its entire system. The upgrade and rebuild for this area was completed about a week ago; as I said, now the reception is great.

I wouldn't go back to an antenna now even if I could, because the reception is so good now and I get more channels than I ever could get before. Like yourself, however, I am in a situation where outdoor TV antennas are not allowed, although one of my neighbors in the apartment building where I live has installed a satellite dish (DirecPC, which I think is tied in with DirecTV) for Internet access.

[/QUOTE]

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 03-01-2004, 02:50 AM
AK Member

Well, the flats (apartments) we're in DO have a few Sky satellite dishes, but as we rent ours and the landlord keeps stalling on answering whether we can get one installed, we're stuck

The REALLY stupid thing is that our street is in one of the most expensive areas of Exeter, and it was built in 1993 - after cable arrived, and yet they never installed it in our area. Quite why is beyond me...
Old 03-01-2004, 08:21 PM
Administrator

Here's an interesting picture, sounds like they ruined a good book to get it.

This begs for a smart alec caption of some kind.

"Now junior, this is the high voltag...AAAAGGG..."

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting
Audiokarma