Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-17-2007, 01:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

Homely Old RCA RGC37L

At last weekend's Nashville VMBRC Radio Swap meet, I found this in a free pile. I first turned up my nose at it, but at closer inspection I noticed that it has a real wood cabinet, not pressed sawdust, not laminate over plywood but real solid maple. I got it home and a filter cap later it has a really good sound. The girlfriend hates its Americana motif. Anyone here know anything about this model, maybe the most valuable RCA ever made, worth Billions of Dollars I'd love pull one over on her to keep her quiet for a while! Logan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-004F.JPG (70.3 KB, 93 views)
Old 10-17-2007, 02:00 PM
roundie not so n00b

awwww... that's a nice little radio!!

Another idea.....instead of expensive anti-psychotic drugs, let's provide schizophrenics with dummy bluetooth headsets. They'll easily blend into the crowd, although I suspect their "conversations" would be far more rational than those of the typical Wal-Mart shopper.

Ron
Old 10-18-2007, 01:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

Who knows, in 50 years you'll be on antiques roadshow telling the story and find out that it's an original Chippendale Cabinet worth thousands of dollars....
Old 10-18-2007, 01:17 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I've got its double-1st cousin. It came w/my house. Mine has a little less-nice cabinet. The aluminum/stainless plate on the front will fall off if you fool w/it very much, the glue dries out after 40 years...
Old 10-20-2007, 02:39 AM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_fixer View Post
At last weekend's Nashville VMBRC Radio Swap meet, I found this in a free pile. I first turned up my nose at it, but at closer inspection I noticed that it has a real wood cabinet, not pressed sawdust, not laminate over plywood but real solid maple. I got it home and a filter cap later it has a really good sound. The girlfriend hates its Americana motif. Anyone here know anything about this model, maybe the most valuable RCA ever made, worth Billions of Dollars I'd love pull one over on her to keep her quiet for a while! Logan
I don't know why your girlfriend would "hate" the Americana style of this radio's cabinet. This style of cabinet was very popular about 40 years ago (RCA's "Brindisi" 3-way console entertainment center TV/AM-FM/phono console from 1962 looked something like your radio, at least the legs did), so it must have had a following--at least back then. I have a Zenith K-731 in an Early American cabinet, and like its styling (not to mention the sound) a lot. My C-845 Zenith is in a blonde mahogany cabinet and looks/sounds great as well. These real wood cabinets are very nice additions to any home, not like the radios in plastic cabinets coming from overseas these days. My K731 Zenith sits right on top of the refrigerator in my apartment for all to see--that's how much I like the design of the cabinet. The C845 sits on the oak dresser in my bedroom because the cabinet matches the dresser's finish almost exactly. I understand there is a mahogany veneer underneath that blonde finish, but I wouldn't dream of sanding off the latter to get to the former; the match to my dresser is just too good and I like it too much.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Audiokarma
Old 10-25-2007, 01:48 PM
1949 Motorola 9VT1

I have that same radio. It is solid state and has good sound. The only thing I don't like about is is that the grille cloth is attached to a piece of cardboard and is just glued on which seems kind of cheap to me. I guess I'm just spoiled by the quality of 1940s radios. I measure all others by that standard of build.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:33 PM
Classiccars2

Interested in selling?

Logan: are you interested in selling your RCA RGC37L radio?

-Jim
Old 12-02-2007, 12:21 AM
VideoKarma Member

Holy Poopie! are you serious? I don't suppose you might be driving thru the Sunny South anytime soon? well i am a greedy B-stard and i want infinite percent profit on this radio, say $10 plus shipping unless you pick it up. how does that sound? Logan
Old 12-02-2007, 01:09 PM
Classiccars2

Rcs Rgc37l

So what's the condition, both cosmetic and functional?

Since I'm in Texas and not Tennessee, I'll be glad to pay for shipping.

-Jim