Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:13 PM
For the Love of the Music

Damned things followed me home from work....

I rarely buy new stuff outside of GE Super Radio III's. Most my stuff is old and I fix it up. One of the guys was putting these out at SEARS where I work. Looked kind of cool and I went over to electronics and put on my Christmas CD. Dont play CDs much and felt a portable CD might give me a chance to play them. Spin mostly LPs and RTR here. Have 100s of CDs gathering dust. We sell an Emerson portable PD5098. My Christmas CD ( I make them from my record collection instead a Christmas card) sounded pretty good. For $24.99 I took it.

Dont like "made in China" but its not bad. Fairly decent FM and AM 740 from Canada comes in fine. Thats how I judge the AM section. We live in southeast NY. Even the Mrs approved. Its light. I will run her on batteries but it does come with an AC cord.

While at the land fill here I found a boombox. Been looking for a Cassette portable and thought I hit pay dirt. Wrong. It was an Panasonic AM-FM *-track. Oh well, beggers can be choosers. Came with a very noisy volume control. A good shot of contact cleaner cured that. Cleaned up the cabinet and bought an 8 track tape at Sal Army to try the 8 track. All ready to go.

Dont know how good the Emerson will be. Wont last like the Panasonic which has to be over 30 years old! Hard to beleive its lasted that long!!!

Eric
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0749.JPG (49.3 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0748.JPG (75.3 KB, 59 views)
Old 12-12-2007, 08:20 PM
EFSP

I have a Jay and the Techniques 45 somewhere. Keep the Ball Rolling. GREAT SONG!!!
Old 12-12-2007, 08:24 PM
For the Love of the Music

Actually that CD is a copy of.....

Jay and the Americans Grestest Hits

ET
Old 12-12-2007, 11:35 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by stereofisher View Post
Dont know how good the Emerson will be. Wont last like the Panasonic which has to be over 30 years old! Hard to beleive its lasted that long!!!

Eric
I have a Radio Shack (Realistic) SCT-11 stereo cassette deck from 1977 with Dolby and Cr02 (likely a rebadged Hitachi), which was top of the line when it was new. Still works like new with my Aiwa NSX-A888 digital bookshelf stereo system. The RS deck doesn't have auto-reverse or full logic controls, but it does have full auto-stop, which is plenty good enough for me as far as fancy features go.

Panasonic (Technics) was a good make of stereo gear in its day, although I'm not sure who owns the company anymore; last I heard, Matsushita Electric did, but in these days of outsourcing, who knows who makes Pana audio and TV? When your unit was new, Panasonic meant Panasonic, but nowadays the Panasonic name may show up anywhere--on cheap stuff made in Korea, for example. The companies that make today's cheap CD players, MP3 players and so on haven't forgotten the fine art (?!) of rebadging; in fact, these days it may be done simply to keep alive the name of a former electronics giant such as Panasonic--otherwise the name would go into the public domain and become meaningless (if it hasn't already). It's been done with televisions, stereo gear and small radios since at least the late '70s, so why not today's audio gear as well?

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.