Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-29-2024, 08:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have Horizontal Disease...yet again Admiral 20X1 Chassis

It worked, kinda, bringing it up slowly on original parts. Then I started on recapping the power section and replacing electrolytic caps...turned it on...still worked, maybe a bit better. Kept going replacing caps one by one, checking resistors and replacing any bad ones etc...

Full screen and raster. Cleaned all the controls. Fed in a cross hatch pattern and got junk for the horizontal. Followed the service data for dialing in the horizontal oscillator and frequency...still junk.

The oscillator waveform and frequency are perfect...exactly how they look in the service data.

This is the junk I have...

So frustrated. I see so many restorers on YT get TVs from this era working so well about halfway through testing and replacing parts. The Crosley, Dumont GE Locomotive and now this Admiral all sitting in my shop with mysterious horizontal issues I cannot solve. Mad, frustrated and feeling like I need to take a break from this hobby if I don't get some success soon.
Old 01-29-2024, 08:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

Jesus Ch#@*t. It's my freekin' pattern generator isn't it? Holy crap...lemme check.
Old 01-29-2024, 08:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

I'm a moron.

Never mind. Ancient and unreliable test equipment. Lesson learned.
Old 01-30-2024, 05:44 AM
VideoKarma Member

Well, sh****t happens... We all sometimes stumble upon that things. In the end, you have great news, a great working TV

Recently I posted about some experiment I'm making with a TV, http://videokarma.org/showthread.php...=1#post3255461 , only to discover after making the title, the culprit is another section
Diagnosing is about that, after all...
Old 01-30-2024, 08:12 AM
VideoKarma Member

I've had advice from some of the experts here several times to make sure the video generator is working properly with a known good TV before making a judgement on what should be addressed. I went down a lot of long and dark streets chasing non-existent problems on several TVs because of forgetting that. The faulty generator is a Sencore 48 I picked up about a year ago. It has performed well until now. I think the issue is the RF output control pot. I have a Leader VG that has always been rock solid so I guess I'll need to break that out for these tests. What I need is the Sencore VG-91. That seems to be the restoration industry standard.
Audiokarma
Old 01-30-2024, 08:41 AM
VideoKarma Member

Severe signal overload was first thought upon seeing that first screen shot.
Old 02-08-2024, 09:58 PM
Workin' Late Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris K View Post
I'm a moron.

Never mind. Ancient and unreliable test equipment. Lesson learned.
Besides the generator, it never helps to lean the CRT up against a piece of test equipment with a huge 60 hz isolation transformer inside. After all the CRT is magnetically deflected.
Old 02-09-2024, 01:50 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Kuehn View Post
Besides the generator, it never helps to lean the CRT up against a piece of test equipment with a huge 60 hz isolation transformer inside. After all the CRT is magnetically deflected.
Not to pile on but I've also seen changes in deflection setup when running sets that early on their sides....I kinda learned the hard way that if the original settings give somewhat reasonable picture with the set on its side don't try to tweak to perfection with the set on its side as the change in position relative to earths magnetic field will throw several things slightly off when turned upright....
Similarly on color sets try to have the set facing the same compass direction as you plan to store and use it in when doing scan setup and purity and convergence.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 02-09-2024, 09:10 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Similarly on color sets try to have the set facing the same compass direction as you plan to store and use it in when doing scan setup and purity and convergence.
This was a major point with pre-autodegauss sets (e.g., RCA CTC-15 and prior).
Old 02-10-2024, 06:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

Got it guys. Thank you very much!
Audiokarma