Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-21-2024, 02:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

1968 Admiral Color TV in very rough shape

Adding to my ever long list of projects is a rather interesting one, a 1968 Admiral Color tube tv which is very rusty, with a hideous looking cataract, and the back cover of the tv is long gone...

Granted I bought this tv in person from a hoarder, they left this poor thing in a filthy barn so it likely was in better shape before that point. This tv was recently working and in service until it decided to blow the thermistor inside the set while the fellow who I bought it from was watching the tv. Since then I suspect is when the humidity got to it and made the cataract become so ugly. The CRT itself has perfectly good healthy emissions though so the CRT is worth keeping and eventually having the cataract dealt with when I am not afraid of attempting the intimidating procedure I have heard many warnings about. I have already begun replacing the numerous wax paper safety caps, old electrolytic inside, full recap starting with power supply circuit first.

Flyback was replaced and current one inside is almost like NOS. Horizontal output tube metal tip at top of tube ripped off and stuck in the horizontal output cap that was on top of the tube. Also someone named Wilbur I guess worked on this in the 70s? Wilbur the pig perhaps? Given the barn storage conditions this thing has had to endure.

Color tabletop tube tvs are a personal favorite of mine though, so I am more inclined and motivated to work on this tv despite how ugly it looks lol.

https://imgur.com/a/kis52aq
Old 03-22-2024, 02:05 PM
M is for Memory

The worse the delamination of a cataract the easier it is to remove. One that small may detach while you're unmounting the CRT, if not use a pick to get out 8-12 chunks of the edge PVA wedge some halves of wood clothes pins in as wedges and sit it out face up in the hot summer sun and it should come unglued relatively fast and easy.

I think I had a equally rusty identical chassis out of a basement of a repair shop, I stripped it of parts but some remain...

If that chassis didn't have the rear bump out (which means plastic or metal back) I'd offer you a spare particle board back off of an admiral wide console I parted after flyback failure.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 03-22-2024, 03:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
The worse the delamination of a cataract the easier it is to remove. One that small may detach while you're unmounting the CRT, if not use a pick to get out 8-12 chunks of the edge PVA wedge some halves of wood clothes pins in as wedges and sit it out face up in the hot summer sun and it should come unglued relatively fast and easy.

I think I had a equally rusty identical chassis out of a basement of a repair shop, I stripped it of parts but some remain...

If that chassis didn't have the rear bump out (which means plastic or metal back) I'd offer you a spare particle board back off of an admiral wide console I parted after flyback failure.
these always work for me!

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Spu...36&sr=8-3&th=1
Old 03-22-2024, 03:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

Not a bad set to deal with. FBT's were common fail. Any Admiral
tube job with a 6EW6 1st vid amp needs a new one every few yrs.
They dont pass the highs & you loose detail. Example is someone
with brown hair will just show solid brown hair. A new 6EW6 brings out
individual hairs & really perks the pix up.
BTW we used butter knifes to pry open LCD sets held by claws.
you may try that also.
BTW # 2 My squaw just had cataract removed from one I. She said
its like adding a comb filter to a color TV. HUGE improvement in
resolution

73 Zeno
LFOD !
Old 03-22-2024, 08:11 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamamaya42 View Post
I've never worked on anything new enough to use those. Usually I use a small screwdriver to pick some chunks out but couldn't think of how to accurately describe how thin... Generally you want something with a 1/8" diameter shaft or smaller....I've got plenty that I'll continue to use.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma