Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Things with Motors

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-23-2018, 11:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

Possible project car, '59 pontiac

Gonna go look at a possible project car soon, I'm curious if anyone has experience with this model, especially concerning any particular weak points or show stoppers. A mechanic friend told me to get under it and make sure the frame isn't rusty, apparently the X frame rusts in certain spots.

It's a four door, wirh a fairly recent 350, and a 4 speed manual transmission. Body looks all there and solid, from a distance. It does have a terrible flat black paint job., but that's reflected in the asking price. I drove by it on my commute, and noticed the for sale sign, and after repeatedly driving by it, it grew on me to the extent I had to call and set up time to see it.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:30 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

No experience here but I do like the look of them, the unique tailfins especially. I like that it has 4 doors and a four-on-the-floor too. I don't get to see many 4-door classic cars on the road. Hard to say whether the gears are synchronized as I'm guessing the tranny isn't stock either, but if it isn't just float the gears, makes things easier.

I know folks will debate until the cows come home on whether or not that last part is a good practice or if it will grenade the tranny in short order.
Old 05-24-2018, 05:19 AM
Administrator

I had a '59 Olds Dynamic 88 as my daily driver back in 2002-2003 or so. Watch the X frame, and the rear leaf mounts. There's also a weak point where the steering box connects to the frame. Other than that, you suck because I'm already jealous of you
Old 05-24-2018, 08:59 AM
VideoKarma Member

The dynamic 88 looks similar, this one is a Pontiac Laurentien, more or less the Canuck version of the Catalina. Am excited to get a closer look, have always wanted a 50s car! The transmission is a Muncie, I hope the rear end isn't geared such that highway driving is annoying.

Tim, don't be too jealous yet, it is not in my garage

Last edited by maxhifi; 05-24-2018 at 09:03 AM.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:14 PM
DTV blows

https://youtu.be/O2xsqvWhT8s
Old 05-25-2018, 04:37 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

I think there was more of a demand for low-cost, basic transportation up here at one time, so GM deleted some of the Catalina's standard equipment and offered the car to us under the Laurentian name. That name hung on until the late 70s at least, while the Bel Air was making its last stand up here as a stripped-down Impala.

The Strato Chief however shares little with any American Pontiac. We also had the Beaumont which appears to have been based on the Chevelle in its earlier years and then based on the GTO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhifi View Post
The transmission is a Muncie, I hope the rear end isn't geared such that highway driving is annoying.
If that is indeed the case, consider adding a 3-speed auxiliary.

Last edited by Jon A.; 05-29-2018 at 04:05 PM.
Old 05-25-2018, 09:08 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OvenMaster View Post
That was a fun video to watch
Old 05-25-2018, 04:21 PM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

The Canadian Pontiacs and Chevrolets are very interesting studies in how GM catered to Canadian budgets, and tastes in vehicles. And different. Also, of the 1959 GM vehicles, I like the Pontiac full size best, Buick second. Very clean lines, tasteful, classy design, and not over-ornamented. Elegant in subtle ways. And the fins the best looking of the big GM fins.

Last edited by KentTeffeteller; 05-25-2018 at 04:33 PM.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:21 AM
VideoKarma Member

Was tempted but no go, way too rusty up close, some perforation of the rockers, bad bondo repair of the fender drains, non original seats, etc. Could be a nice car but not with my time and budget!