Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-18-2017, 10:16 PM
Banned

Keurig Model B60 Coffee Brewer having issues

Hello everyone, about a month ago I bought a used Keurig Model B60 Coffee Brewer from Goodwill for $5 and some change and other than having to get the old dirty water out of the tank from the previous owners (the previous owners definitely did NOT use filtered water with this thing as the old water left in the tank was a greyish-brown color and had tons of floaties in it), then running vinegar through the machine to make sure it was cleaned out after getting the old dirty water out of the tank the macine worked perfectly and brewed exactly the right amount of coffee and or cocoa every time.
Then recently (about a week or 2 ago) the Keurig started all of the sudden spitting water out of the vent on the side of the machine above the water resevoir which results in anything being brewed from the machine (including straight water) to come up about an ounce short which doesn't seem like much but in reality it is when you're talking a cup of coffee or cocoa or tea because the k-cups (which are not cheap by the way) are being wasted if you can't get every single last drop out of the cups.

Anyways I tried doing some research and the only "fixes" I could find were the paperclip up the needle fix and something about blowing compressed air through the vent on the side to see if there's a blockage in between the vent and the needle and also something about the check-valve sticking and causing the water to backflow into the resevoir through the vent on the side, and I had already checked the needle to see if it was plugged by doing the paperclip trick right after I bought it and after I cleaned the machine out and it surprisingly enough wasn't blocked too badly, I also shot the vent with compressed air and there didn't seem to be any blockages there because there was water coming through the needle when I blew enough air into the vent hole to build up enough pressure into the tank to start moving the water out of the tank and up into the needle, and then I checked the check-valve and it seems to be functioning properly as far as I know because it moves freely when one pushes a screwdriver up against it to open and close it.

So my issue is, why would a Keurig allow water to backflow out of the side vent and into the resevoir when there isn't any obvious signs of blockages or other issues that would typically cause this symptom? And is there an easy fix for it? Or is this Keurig toast? By the way I had bought this same exact Keurig used from the same Goodwill (the one I work at) as the one I am having issues with right now for my parents, and the one I got for my parents hasn't had one issue with it other than the occasional descaling but other than that it's never had a lick of trouble, and its definitely never had the issue I'm having with this machine right now.

Any help or tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Levi

Last edited by Captainclock; 02-18-2017 at 10:22 PM.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:38 AM
VideoKarma Member

OP wrote: "Anyways I tried doing some research and the only "fixes" I could find were the paperclip up the needle fix and something about blowing compressed air through the vent on the side to see if there's a blockage in between the vent and the needle and also something about the check-valve sticking and causing the water to backflow into the resevoir through the vent on the side, and I had already checked the needle to see if it was plugged by doing the paperclip trick right after I bought it and after I cleaned the machine out and it surprisingly enough wasn't blocked too badly, I also shot the vent with compressed air and there didn't seem to be any blockages there because there was water coming through the needle when I blew enough air into the vent hole to build up enough pressure into the tank to start moving the water out of the tank and up into the needle, and then I checked the check-valve and it seems to be functioning properly as far as I know because it moves freely when one pushes a screwdriver up against it to open and close it."

Here's a tip: Take a stand, and throw down a period every once in a while.

Chip
Old 02-19-2017, 12:36 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Chester View Post
Here's a tip: Take a stand, and throw down a period every once in a while.

Chip
Chip, CaptainClock has explained his situation with Austism before. As an Uncle to an Autistic 24-year old, I find his writing is just fine. Some consideration is due. Just an FYI.
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 02-19-2017, 01:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findm-Keepm View Post
Chip, CaptainClock has explained his situation with Austism before. As an Uncle to an Autistic 24-year old, I find his writing is just fine. Some consideration is due. Just an FYI.
Thanks for helping me out there.

I was just trying to explain as best as I could what was going on with the unit without being too wordy and I even tried breaking it up every once in a while but apparently that didn't work.

As for the issue this thing is having its an issue that's different from the normal issues that these Kuerigs suffer from which is why most of the normal "fixes" don't seem to be workin on it.
Old 02-19-2017, 05:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

Got it. Didn't know that. Carry on.

Chip
Audiokarma
Old 02-19-2017, 07:33 PM
Banned

So, does anyone on here have any ideas here as to what could be going on with this Keurig?

I'm currently at a loss for this one because its an issue I've not had before with Keurigs especially not this generation of them, like I said I got my parents this same exact model of Keurig used from the same exact Goodwill that I got this unit from (which is the one I currently work at) and the one my parents have hasn't had a lick of trouble except for the occasional need for descaling which is normal for any Keurig (in fact the newer Keurigs from this generation of Keurigs has a descaling function), so I don't know what this Keurig's problem is and why it's spitting hot water out of the side vent into the resevoir whenever you brew a pod.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

In some reviews on Amazon of similar units, people complain that they must do the paper clip fix almost daily to assure proper operation... seems like a big pain in the butt just to brew a cup of joe.

jr
Old 02-19-2017, 09:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
In some reviews on Amazon of similar units, people complain that they must do the paper clip fix almost daily to assure proper operation... seems like a big pain in the butt just to brew a cup of joe.

jr
Yes, but like I said that's not the issue with mine though, usually the paperclip issue is when its not brewing a full cup (and the water doesn't shoot out the side flexi-vent even in that situation) mine on the other hand is brewing one ounce shy of a full cup and is back draining that one ounce of hot water that should be going into the K-Cup for the coffee to brew the full cup back into the resevoir, which is NOT normal operation for a Keurig of any kind, and this is in fact the first time I've ever seen this issue ever on any Keurig machine (first or second generation models).
Old 02-25-2017, 01:23 PM
Banned

Well, I just gave up on trying to get this Keurig Going, but I was fortunate enough to find a nice Keurig 2.0 for sale at the Goodwill where I work today and I only had to give about $3 and some change for it, and yes it still works fine yet, all I had to do to it was drain out the old water and any old coffee grounds that were built up in the needle and I was all good, it even came with the optional water filter attachment.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:23 AM
VideoKarma Member

You're going to laugh.... give it a good solid square slam down on a solid counter or your floor!!!! I don't know why or how this works, but it fixed two including mine... BTW, I found that cure via Google... What have you got to lose???... and it helps vent frustration at the same time!!!!

Jim
Audiokarma
Old 03-02-2017, 12:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by philcophan View Post
You're going to laugh.... give it a good solid square slam down on a solid counter or your floor!!!! I don't know why or how this works, but it fixed two including mine... BTW, I found that cure via Google... What have you got to lose???... and it helps vent frustration at the same time!!!!

Jim
I guess, I can give that a shot, for sure I have nothing to lose except that if it works I'll have a spare keurig I guess...