Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > VideoKarma Classifieds

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-09-2018, 12:49 AM
Sealtest Sealtest is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Knoxville, Tennessee
Posts: 125
Family hates my Tv collection sale (Near Knoxville)

Hey all, I have a few sets here I'd like to sell off since my family hates my TV repair and collecting. I am about to head off to college and have gotten extra pressure and flack over this hobby.

The sets pictured are a Zenith CCII console, Magnavox color set, and a small panasonic b&w. I'd love to keep them (especially the zenith), but can't keep taking in sets while having so many stick around.

Looking for something? Just ask.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-5489.jpg (72.1 KB, 97 views)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-09-2018, 07:27 AM
iong iong is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 55
Don't worry the'll all as bored as hell when they retire. Lots of golf clubs on ebay
Perry

Last edited by iong; 08-09-2018 at 07:42 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-09-2018, 10:51 AM
user181 user181 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 281
Presumably your collection has kept you off the streets and kept you occupied so as to not go carousing & getting into other trouble. So, they should at least be glad for that.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-09-2018, 01:40 PM
Jon A.'s Avatar
Jon A. Jon A. is offline
Don't mess with Esther.
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by user181 View Post
Presumably your collection has kept you off the streets and kept you occupied so as to not go carousing & getting into other trouble. So, they should at least be glad for that.
I must second this one. They should think about that and whatever backlash might come their way.

Better to keep your deflector shields up so to speak and not cave into being a robot like all the haters out there.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-09-2018, 01:58 PM
Electronic M's Avatar
Electronic M Electronic M is offline
M is for Memory
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pewaukee/Delafield Wi
Posts: 9,790
If that college is an engineering major particularly electrical then your TV repair counts as study/prep and they should support you in that....I think most of the reason my folks supported my hobby is the hope I'd go to college and become an EE like I did...

One bit of advice skip the newer solid state and especially inline gun CRT sets they are worthless and will be for a long time. That CCII is good to have because it's CRT interchanges with older tube color sets.
__________________
Tom C.

What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Reading between the scan lines since the mid 2000's.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #6  
Old 08-09-2018, 03:49 PM
user181 user181 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
If that college is an engineering major particularly electrical then your TV repair counts as study/prep and they should support you in that....I think most of the reason my folks supported my hobby is the hope I'd go to college and become an EE like I did...

I emphatically agree with that. You learn so much through working with & repairing this stuff. Being hands-on with this will go a long way toward helping you understand theory in your coursework, even if it isn't directly related.

I too am an EE, and have been into electricity & electronics all my life. When I was a teen, I had family members give me grief or a spiel for being interested in "old" things because supposedly those wouldn't help me if I really wanted to be an EE. They thought I should only pay attention to what was then state-of-art.

Well, it turns out that my experience with the old things helped me a lot in school. Fundamental principles really don't change. And the laws of physics are what they are, and always will be.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-09-2018, 05:18 PM
Electronic M's Avatar
Electronic M Electronic M is offline
M is for Memory
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pewaukee/Delafield Wi
Posts: 9,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by user181 View Post
I emphatically agree with that. You learn so much through working with & repairing this stuff. Being hands-on with this will go a long way toward helping you understand theory in your coursework, even if it isn't directly related.

I too am an EE, and have been into electricity & electronics all my life. When I was a teen, I had family members give me grief or a spiel for being interested in "old" things because supposedly those wouldn't help me if I really wanted to be an EE. They thought I should only pay attention to what was then state-of-art.

Well, it turns out that my experience with the old things helped me a lot in school. Fundamental principles really don't change. And the laws of physics are what they are, and always will be.
Yup, You can't build anything useful purely with cutting-edge tech...Everything out there contains some measure of old parts and concepts, and many cutting-edge technologies are merely a new way of combining, applying, or packaging existent tech, or some small refinement thereof. Being into tube radios and TVs I had a good grasp of most of the analog concepts, and a PLTW digital logic course in Highschool taught me digital logic, aside from EM fields, and programming everything I learned in my major was math as it applies to the concepts and refinements and extensions of those concepts I knew going in...
Heck in a class that dealt with modulation (I think it was a lab/lecture) the professor was mentioning AM and FM modulation as it relates to TV and how some modulation types like PM (phase modulation) and FM (frequency modulation) are closely related to the point they can transmit or receive each other's transmissions perfectly with an integral or derivative function placed in the signal chain. I chimed in that in the early days of TV when it was first standardized with FM sound that older sets with Am sound were converted to FM sound by adjusting the passband of the sound receiver circuits such that the FM signal would always lie between the peak and cutoff of the passband thus as the FM signal with fixed amplitude and varying frequency changed frequency at the TVs input the sound IF chain would convert that into a varying amplitude signal that could be demodulated with the existing Am detector. That professor thought that was a great example in the contest of the topic, and thereafter would sometimes compliment me for bringing up interesting topics.
__________________
Tom C.

What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Reading between the scan lines since the mid 2000's.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-09-2018, 09:30 PM
Sealtest Sealtest is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Knoxville, Tennessee
Posts: 125
Well electronics repair didn't keep me off the streets, more of put me on them searching the curbsides for free TVs . My family just doesn't like the stacks of TVs and my mother especially wants them all to go (with the exclusion of a very nice 1955 RCA set).

I guess it all makes sense when I usually own 20-30ish sets at a time. I grab them from the local dump, fix them, then sell them for the price of parts I put into them. For some reason the sets posted here have been so hard to find homes for, but Curtis Mathes, JCP, Sears, and Zenith are way easier to find homes for as long as they aren't consoles. A lot of the guys my age are into retro gaming so that's the market I deal with, but they all want sony trinitrons.

As for college I have no idea what I'm doing. I was in electrical engineering and got bored with it and didn't enjoy it. All that will be figured out later. What I do know is that many TV sets have to tag along. So far 2 trinitrons (1980 and 2002), and a Zenith system 3 from 1985 are coming along. The hunt for more electronics will continue there as well. So far it's been a good area for vintage hifi but not TVs (yet).
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-09-2018, 09:34 PM
bgadow's Avatar
bgadow bgadow is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Federalsburg, MD
Posts: 5,538
About 30 years ago I was a teenager with old sets piled up anywhere I could put 'em. I know my parents must have scratched their head and wondered what was wrong with me, but I stayed out of trouble and they never really complained about the collection.
__________________
Bryan
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-10-2018, 10:31 AM
dieseljeep dieseljeep is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 6,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealtest View Post
Well electronics repair didn't keep me off the streets, more of put me on them searching the curbsides for free TVs . My family just doesn't like the stacks of TVs and my mother especially wants them all to go (with the exclusion of a very nice 1955 RCA set).

I guess it all makes sense when I usually own 20-30ish sets at a time. I grab them from the local dump, fix them, then sell them for the price of parts I put into them. For some reason the sets posted here have been so hard to find homes for, but Curtis Mathes, JCP, Sears, and Zenith are way easier to find homes for as long as they aren't consoles. A lot of the guys my age are into retro gaming so that's the market I deal with, but they all want sony trinitrons.

As for college I have no idea what I'm doing. I was in electrical engineering and got bored with it and didn't enjoy it. All that will be figured out later. What I do know is that many TV sets have to tag along. So far 2 trinitrons (1980 and 2002), and a Zenith system 3 from 1985 are coming along. The hunt for more electronics will continue there as well. So far it's been a good area for vintage hifi but not TVs (yet).
What's wrong with Skilled Trades?
Most of the skilled tradesmen I worked with, made more money than any engineer ever dreamed of.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #11  
Old 08-10-2018, 11:29 AM
init4fun's Avatar
init4fun init4fun is online now
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Eastern Massachusetts
Posts: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealtest View Post
........ my family hates my TV repair and collecting. I am about to head off to college and have gotten extra pressure and flack over this hobby......
Not sure how many vintage TVs you'll be able to fit in a college dorm room , but my suggestion would be to pick your one or two all time favorite TVs , bring those two with you and don't worry about the rest , by the end of your first year I'll bet the family who hates your hobby will have put them all to the curb ....
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-10-2018, 05:18 PM
Jon A.'s Avatar
Jon A. Jon A. is offline
Don't mess with Esther.
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
What's wrong with Skilled Trades?
Most of the skilled tradesmen I worked with, made more money than any engineer ever dreamed of.
That and it would leave you more time for the things that really count. Careers that require those high falutin' degrees tend to take over one's life, and no one will be saying in their last hours "I wish I had worked more".
Quote:
Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
Not sure how many vintage TVs you'll be able to fit in a college dorm room , but my suggestion would be to pick your one or two all time favorite TVs , bring those two with you and don't worry about the rest , by the end of your first year I'll bet the family who hates your hobby will have put them all to the curb ....
Sure, if they don't mind risking the relationship.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-10-2018, 08:41 PM
Electronic M's Avatar
Electronic M Electronic M is offline
M is for Memory
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pewaukee/Delafield Wi
Posts: 9,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
That and it would leave you more time for the things that really count. Careers that require those high falutin' degrees tend to take over one's life, and no one will be saying in their last hours "I wish I had worked more".

Sure, if they don't mind risking the relationship.
Plenty of people have shitty parents who don't care (and or have a very skewed perception of the value their loved ones place on their possessions).

A friend of mine was saving up after college to move out from his parent's house and speed up his escape plans after one day his mom came and totally rearranged his stuff while he was hanging out with me (I felt kinda bad about it). Worst yet along with the schematics for some projects he was working on and stuff she threw out a bunch of his college notes and textbooks (wasn't garbage day so he fished them out and got them back). (those college notes and text are valuable reference material. It is the second worse thing to throwing out your kid's college diploma IMO.) Their relationship was indeed very strained after that. I always thought she was a bossy OCD clean freak (granted I did not see her much), but after that, I thought she was a total bitch.
__________________
Tom C.

What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Reading between the scan lines since the mid 2000's.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-10-2018, 09:04 PM
fixmeplease fixmeplease is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 140
There are lots of Tv's in the world but you only get one set of parents.(or 1 or 2 more if remarried) Obey them and get rid of them. Its their home.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-10-2018, 10:41 PM
Sealtest Sealtest is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Knoxville, Tennessee
Posts: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Plenty of people have shitty parents who don't care (and or have a very skewed perception of the value their loved ones place on their possessions).

A friend of mine was saving up after college to move out from his parent's house and speed up his escape plans after one day his mom came and totally rearranged his stuff while he was hanging out with me (I felt kinda bad about it). Worst yet along with the schematics for some projects he was working on and stuff she threw out a bunch of his college notes and textbooks (wasn't garbage day so he fished them out and got them back). (those college notes and text are valuable reference material. It is the second worse thing to throwing out your kid's college diploma IMO.) Their relationship was indeed very strained after that. I always thought she was a bossy OCD clean freak (granted I did not see her much), but after that, I thought she was a total bitch.

I have the same issue with my mother to an extent. I'll be working on something and when I come back to my desk or small basement shop everything has moved around. With electronic items it's not a big deal usually, but when I'm doing watch repair and have a watch torn 100% down it can be an issue. Tools also go missing and get moved all over the place. Since putting a little shop in the basement this has pretty much stopped.


Really my mother just has a fixation on having new stuff, while my dad doesn't care. He grew up in a TV repair shop in Pittsburgh his dad had. He never learned about repairing sets but when certain sets come in he comments on how good or bad the set was back when new. Anything Zenith and RCA is liked, but brands like Admiral and Motorola are "cheap". Philco is "good but built real weird and a pain to work on". With newer sets he still really likes Zenith and always mentions how good the Sony trinitron was supposed to be.

Also if anyone is interested in any sets DM me about them.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:18 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
ęCopyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.