Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Introductions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-31-2013, 10:34 AM
VideoKarma Member

New in Illinois

Hello everyone. I've been lurking around for a while and I guess the polite thing to do is at least stop and say hi. I don't currently have any vintage tvs, but I have been collecting radios for about three years. I have very limited space, so I have to be selective on what I get. Mostly battery tube portables, but some bigger stuff has creeped in. I'm still learning electronics and I know I have a long way to go to tackle a tv restoration, but I'm working my way there. I don't know if I can contribute much here, but I've enjoyed reading everybody's posts. I'm a history buff and have read a lot on tv history, so maybe from time to time I'll know something.

Born (in 68), raised, and live in a small town in the northern edge of southern Illinois, near St. Louis. We call it Metro-East. My grandfather was a longtime Motorola/Quasar and GE dealer in Ky and I used to get to go with him to make service calls when we'd visit. I have many fond memories of playing in his store, watching him work, and peering into the back of tv's and wondering what made them work. I still have one of his tube cases and some other stuff of his. Wish I had saved more. I grew up watching a 1968 Motorola works in the drawer color console in a Drexel cabinet (wish I had saved that too). Everything in our house growing up was Motorola or GE, so I have a fondness for them. The one exception was a Silvertone stereo console my dad got just before he met my mom and knew he could get stuff wholesale, lol! That, and a mid 60's B/W Motorola console (basement tv) are still in their house and I'll get them someday.

My other hobbies are cars and as I mentioned history. I do a little writing and helping out with some local museums.

Sorry for the long intro. I really want to get more into this hobby and hopefully in the future I'll get to ask lots of questions about my own stuff.

John

Last edited by egrand; 03-31-2013 at 10:48 AM.