Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Flat Panels & Digital Format

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:05 AM
Administrator

Pioneer PDP-5080HD plasma repair

Well, I'm obviously no expert in this realm, but the skill sets to some degree seem to transfer over, and I got this set for free, so what the heck

The set was powering up, but would shut down and the blue light would blink 8 times. An internet search said that the main board was overheating, and needed to be replaced.

Decided to remove the back, and see what was going on, as the cooling fan never seemed to kick on. No bulging caps, nothing obviously wrong, so I powered it up with the back off to see if I could see anything going on. And, of course, I didn't notice the trap switch (a protective switch inside the set to prevent powering up with the back off), so the set locked up.

Managed to get the set into factory reset mode, and saw that the fan status was off. Temp showed about 87 degrees on the board. It's a high hours, set, about 18,000 hours logged on the panel (it's a late 2007 model).

In any event, I got it out of factory mode and began to think that the whole problem was just that the temp sensor was probably bad, or possibly the fan. I took apart an old Dell PC power supply, yanked the fan, and mounted it on top over the main power board. Well what do you know, it worked!!!!

Beautiful picture this thing has too!

I'd like to repair it properly but according to the manual, the temp sensor is on the Tanshi assembly. But by the diagram, it then routes through the main power board. The individual components on the board don't seem to be replaceable.

Has anyone ever worked on one of these, and can anyone offer advice?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tv.JPG (41.8 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg 100_5343.jpg (58.6 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg tanshi.JPG (63.3 KB, 22 views)
Old 01-28-2015, 07:07 AM
Administrator

And JUST as I post this and look at the diagram again, I see that the 8 blinks refers to three different points in this diagram. Hm.
Old 01-28-2015, 12:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

I haven't worked on that specific model, but on my PDP-V501X (much older model, but still a Pioneer), on a cold startup, the fans kick on after a couple minutes of the initial power up, and run continually until the set is powered down. Subsequent startups with the set warmed up, the fans start with the TV. I don't think you'd have any harm in just having the fan run all the time.

I know that doesn't help with the "real" problem, but I figured I would throw that out there
Old 01-28-2015, 12:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

Perhaps I missed something, but is the sensor/fan supply faulty or is the fan just stuck? Perhaps all you need is a drop of oil applied to the center hub of the fan?

jr
Old 01-28-2015, 05:23 PM
The glass is -3dB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
Perhaps I missed something, but is the sensor/fan supply faulty or is the fan just stuck? Perhaps all you need is a drop of oil applied to the center hub of the fan?

jr
Peel the label up to reveal the spindle.
Audiokarma
Old 01-29-2015, 04:43 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoogarXR View Post
I haven't worked on that specific model, but on my PDP-V501X (much older model, but still a Pioneer), on a cold startup, the fans kick on after a couple minutes of the initial power up, and run continually until the set is powered down. Subsequent startups with the set warmed up, the fans start with the TV. I don't think you'd have any harm in just having the fan run all the time.

I know that doesn't help with the "real" problem, but I figured I would throw that out there
Actually, that does help some. The fan on this one never starts up or runs. Date of production on this one is October 2007, this one's getting up there in age.....for a flat panel
Old 01-29-2015, 04:45 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post

jr

In the factory setup menu, it shows the fan as not running. The fan isn't stuck, it moves as it should with my finger.....but I didn't try to power it directly.

I'm coming up with more weird errors occasionally, all of which seem to be related to the power supply. Think I'm just going to bite the bullet and order one.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:24 AM
Looking For Time

You really can't go wrong ordering parts for this set. The final few generations of Pioneer PDP displays were UNBELIEVABLE in their time, and are still rank near the top in picture quality this many years later. I have a Pioneer in my bedroom and nothing I see today (except LG's OLED panels) are as good, or at least better enough that I would think about a new set. Get that baby up and running and you will not be disappointed.
Old 01-29-2015, 12:26 PM
Administrator

Oh, I know....this set's absolutely amazing! With the cooling fan directed on the power supply I watched it for a couple hours

You're right though....why Rube Goldberg it. I have an offer on a part for it on ebay....
Old 01-29-2015, 04:18 PM
M is for Memory

If it is a three wire fan, then one wire is a tachometer. If the set's software sense fan operation off the tachometer, and the fan is bad, then even if it is sending voltage to the fan it may read as the fan being off...

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma
Old 01-30-2015, 09:51 AM
Administrator

Nope, two wire fan on this set. It doesn't indicate fan speed in the menu, just fan status.

Got a used part coming for $55, it's the latest revision, so we'll see what happens in a few days
Old 01-30-2015, 06:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Nope, two wire fan on this set. It doesn't indicate fan speed in the menu, just fan status.

Got a used part coming for $55, it's the latest revision, so we'll see what happens in a few days

Sounds like too much cake for what is/was probably a $4.00 fan when the TV was produced, unless it is a totally uncommon size & profile. And being used for $55??

Tom (PK)
Old 01-31-2015, 12:44 AM
The glass is -3dB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerking View Post
Sounds like too much cake for what is/was probably a $4.00 fan when the TV was produced, unless it is a totally uncommon size & profile. And being used for $55??

Tom (PK)
I think he bought the module that the fan connects to. The fan doesn't seem to be the issue, the TV is never actually commanding it to turn on. If $55 is all he has to spend, he still got a steal of a deal.
Old 01-31-2015, 06:47 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
I think he bought the module that the fan connects to. The fan doesn't seem to be the issue, the TV is never actually commanding it to turn on. If $55 is all he has to spend, he still got a steal of a deal.

Yeah, I missed that, sounds like they used an overly complicated fan control/monitor/driver module design. Three wire D.C. fans w/tach have been so cheap for many years; kind of like why use a $2.00 circuit breaker when a 0.02 fuse will do the same thing?

Tom(PK)
Old 01-31-2015, 08:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

Last edited by andy; 11-20-2021 at 03:40 PM.
Audiokarma