Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Things with Motors

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-20-2020, 09:15 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colly0410 View Post
YAY my car has passed it's first MOT (a yearly roadworthy test you need here in England for cars 3 years or older) with no advisories (for minor faults that are not serious enough to fail the test) so feeling rather pleased. MOT runs out on 13'th March 2021, the MOT was actually due on 14'th March as that was date when I bought the car new 3 years ago, but you're allowed to take your car for it's MOT up to 1 month before the cars 3 year anniversary or before the old MOT runs out. The cops know if you don't have a valid MOT, insurance or yearly road tax & it flags up on their car computer. You see cop documentaries on TV & their car computer goes "DING DING DING" then they chase after the un taxed/un MOT/un insured car & the driver gets a ticket & the car is usually towed to the pound...
So does that mean they upgrade Kia driver's cars to POW status, or do they fill the interior with stray dogs and let them chew their frustrations away?

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 02-20-2020, 02:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

Did You Hear About This???

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/18/us/im...rnd/index.html

I think I'll try that here! I could use an extra couple of grand.
Old 02-20-2020, 05:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

I'm god would be banned here in England, lol... All plates here have to have at least one letter & one number e.g. A 1, 9 R etc. The single letter single number plates were issued over a hundred years ago, & the single number single letter plates in the 1950's & 60's & those that are still around are worth tens of thousands of pounds. A local car has 72 R & my old boss has 11 FR. I think 72 R is the lowest single letter plate I've seen. I'd love a single letter plate but can't afford one, my uncle had two cars with single letter (both four numbers R) plates but scrapped them both, I expect the scrap man sold them. Dad had an unusual plate = GWA 1C, any plate with a single number is worth something nowadays, but he scrapped the car along with the plate..
Old 02-21-2020, 10:11 AM
VideoKarma Member

Would this work:

1MG0D (a "1" for "I" and a zero for "O")
Old 02-22-2020, 09:57 AM
VideoKarma Member

1 to 999 GOD & GOD 1 to 999 would have been issued but GOD is a Banned combination. A friend (she's very pretty) has S11 EXY on a merc A10, that slipped through the net. I was following her once as she knew the way (I wasn't stalking her, lol) & a pair of cops smiled as she drove past. I was talking to her one night & she said as she was gazing deep into my eyes "I wish you were my Dad" & then she hugged me for ages & had tears in her eyes, she want's me to give her away when/if she gets married, I'll be proud to...
Audiokarma
Old 03-02-2020, 07:59 AM
VideoKarma Member

My Plate Collection

The top 2 are from 1922 about 98 years old! I rescued them from a garage that was being torn down for a doctors office back in about 1962. I was 10 years old! And I have saved them ever since.
The Charleston plates are a little newer and were issued by the local municipality.
Others include my ham plate for my first call letters. At that time ham plates were FREE. But these days they charge for them (about $80 I think).
And a "Hobby/Antique" plate that I had for my Gremlin.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Plates.jpg (120.8 KB, 18 views)
Old 05-22-2020, 05:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

Austrian Pre War Number Plates

Nice posts, but I guess I'm not over doing things saying my grandfather's Austrian pre war DKW motor cycle number plates are one or at least two of the rarest things you will ever see in your whole live- the rest of the poor motorbike and so much more got lost in WWII:

After some research work I have to correct myself:
The shown number plates are very early postwar from the russian zone in lower Austria. Even though the number plates are not prewar, the are extremely rare in any case.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3310.jpg (58.7 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by Josef; 04-19-2022 at 02:15 PM.
Old 05-23-2020, 06:47 AM
VideoKarma Member

That's cool. What's the hole for in the bottom plate?
Old 05-24-2020, 04:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

The upper left thing is the leftover of the backlite. The two smaller ones are from mounting screws I guess.
Old 06-21-2020, 08:18 AM
VideoKarma Member

Been in the media here in England that electric cars will have green registration plates to show their green credentials, they'll be exempt from London congestion charges & be able to use bus lanes. Whether they'll be green letters/numbers on a white background (like Florida plates) or black letters/numbers on a green background they have not said. How this'll work with the yellow back plates we have at the moment I don't know, the green wouldn't show up very well on a yellow background. It's all up in the air at the moment because of Covid19 chaos though, see what happens in the future...
Audiokarma
Old 06-22-2020, 12:20 AM
VideoKarma Member

Official UK government announcement: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/g...mission-future

Just a green flash on an otherwise standard plate.

Electric cars and some hybrids are currently exempt from London congestion charge. This is being phased out completely by 2025: https://www.drivingelectric.com/news...cars-and-phevs

Though a lot can happen in 5 years.
Old 06-22-2020, 11:53 AM
VideoKarma Member

The way I read it in the media I thought the plates would be green, but no just a green flash... Don't think I'll be going electric anytime soon, I go hundreds of miles to Southampton, Portsmouth, Hastings, Blackpool & Harrogate on a regular basis so I would get range anxiety...
Old 06-22-2020, 12:13 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colly0410 View Post
The way I read it in the media I thought the plates would be green, but no just a green flash... Don't think I'll be going electric anytime soon, I go hundreds of miles to Southampton, Portsmouth, Hastings, Blackpool & Harrogate on a regular basis so I would get range anxiety...
I wonder if they sold the Chevy Volt over there? It was a plug in electric with a small gasoline engine onboard that could be used to extend the range indefinitely after the batteries got low. Good car for that sort of application.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 06-23-2020, 12:43 AM
VideoKarma Member

BMW used to make the i3 with range extender. A little bike engine with a battery charger. Also known as a series hybrid configuration. They have now stopped making it and only do the pure electric version.

The green plates will only be for pure electric vehicles. Though I wonder if there will be aftermarket charger sets you can carry in the boot (trunk for you guys in the US).
Old 06-23-2020, 06:23 AM
VideoKarma Member

[QUOTE= Though I wonder if there will be aftermarket charger sets you can carry in the boot (trunk for you guys in the US).[/QUOTE]

I suppose you could cart one of those Honda petrol (gasoline) generators that they use on market stalls around in your boot (trunk) with a piece of pipe to extend the exhaust outside the car & trickle charge the batteries. Not sure what the cops would say though. Would be a thing Mr Bean would do if the program was still made, lol...
Audiokarma