Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-27-2021, 12:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

A Little update, I got my Vibrator yesterday, and I put it into the radio and hooked the battery up to it, turned on the radio and the tubes glowed and the pilot light came on but still no audio and it didn't seem like vibrator was doing anything still.

I've completely recapped this radio (except for the capacitor attached to the volume control that is used for tone compensation), and I tried hooking the vibrator up to my variac and running it with 6V AC and all the way up to 24V AC and the Vibrator is not wanting to respond I was even trying to gently tap the vibrator housing to see if I could get it to start that way, and nothing.

So a couple of questions, how common is it for these Vibrators to be Dead, including NOS ones, and do these vibrators actually make an audible humming noise when they are running properly?

I just seem to keep hitting roadblocks with this radio and I really want to get this radio working because its a really neat radio.
Old 04-27-2021, 01:20 PM
M is for Memory

Of the 2 vibrators I have had my hands on both were DOA and had to be brought back to life. They do make an audible buzz in opperation.
It took like 10 minutes of cranking the voltage up for brief 1 second spurts (once or twice I hit 60 on the variac), letting it sit at 12-24V for 5-10 sec and banging it on the table not quite hard enough to dent mine to revive it...

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 04-27-2021, 04:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Of the 2 vibrators I have had my hands on both were DOA and had to be brought back to life. They do make an audible buzz in opperation.
It took like 10 minutes of cranking the voltage up for brief 1 second spurts (once or twice I hit 60 on the variac), letting it sit at 12-24V for 5-10 sec and banging it on the table not quite hard enough to dent mine to revive it...
OK, well I guess I'll have to see what I can do with mine, although I don't really trust myself with a "cheater cord" hooked up to a vibrator with aligator clips and plugged into a live variac and trying to bang the vibrator against my workbench table and not accidentally have an aligator clip fly off and short against something...
Old 04-27-2021, 05:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortalexfan View Post
OK, well I guess I'll have to see what I can do with mine, although I don't really trust myself with a "cheater cord" hooked up to a vibrator with aligator clips and plugged into a live variac and trying to bang the vibrator against my workbench table and not accidentally have an aligator clip fly off and short against something...
Use a 60 watt lamp in series with the coil, then type getting it to vibrate.
The foam rubber lining was a tendency to react with the contacts, even on a brand new unit.
Open up the can on the original vibrator and see what can be done with it.
Old 05-13-2021, 10:11 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
A Little update, I got my Vibrator yesterday, and I put it into the radio and hooked the battery up to it, turned on the radio and the tubes glowed and the pilot light came on but still no audio and it didn't seem like vibrator was doing anything still.

I've completely recapped this radio (except for the capacitor attached to the volume control that is used for tone compensation), and I tried hooking the vibrator up to my variac and running it with 6V AC and all the way up to 24V AC and the Vibrator is not wanting to respond I was even trying to gently tap the vibrator housing to see if I could get it to start that way, and nothing.

So a couple of questions, how common is it for these Vibrators to be Dead, including NOS ones, and do these vibrators actually make an audible humming noise when they are running properly?

I just seem to keep hitting roadblocks with this radio and I really want to get this radio working because its a really neat radio.
We haven't heard anything regarding getting this set going.
Did the replacement vibrator do the trick.
Audiokarma
Old 05-13-2021, 10:55 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
We haven't heard anything regarding getting this set going.
Did the replacement vibrator do the trick.
That update you quoted was about the new vibrator, the NOS vibrator was dead too, and I tried "shocking" it back to life and it wouldn't work, and I'm not sure what else to try because apparently it's not responding to low voltage AC current shocks, or physical shocks (light tapping).
Old 05-13-2021, 01:12 PM
M is for Memory

You don't need to be gentle. Bang it harder till it starts to dent then back off a tad so you don't dent it worse.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 05-13-2021, 01:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
You don't need to be gentle. Bang it harder till it starts to dent then back off a tad so you don't dent it worse.
Well I just was trying to make sure I didn't break it, because I paid almost $40 for that thing including shipping. But I can try to hit it harder now.
Old 05-13-2021, 09:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Well I just was trying to make sure I didn't break it, because I paid almost $40 for that thing including shipping. But I can try to hit it harder now.
I'd be tempted to just convert it to AC operation! You'd have to provide a DC source for the audio tube and related circuitry for the bias.
The rest of the tubes, the heaters can use AC.
Old 05-13-2021, 11:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
I'd be tempted to just convert it to AC operation! You'd have to provide a DC source for the audio tube and related circuitry for the bias.
The rest of the tubes, the heaters can use AC.
I was thinking of that too but that might be a lot more work than I want to try and tackle.
Audiokarma