Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-07-2004, 07:44 AM
Klipschophile

Scott 370

Hello all I have a Scott 370 and I was wondering if there was an adjustment to fine tune the stations in. I receive a lot of stations but they don't seem to tune in as sharp as they could. any help would be appreciated

Thanks, Patrick
Old 11-10-2004, 02:02 AM
RadioHead

possible reasons

If you're getting many stations at one point on the dial or crowded together, it's more a receiver limitation than anything you can do by tweaking things. Best avoid twiddling coils and such inside the set unless you have a good service manual and tons of patience.

For good, wideband sound, tuning on "hi-fi" receivers is necessarily broadband. This can let in several stations at once. Didn't used to be so many stations out there, I guess. You can add a preselector, or antenna tuner, which is a simple circuit to build or pretty cheap to buy.

Might just be some sloppiness in the tuning due to age of the dial cord. Rub the dial cord lightly with soft wax such as beeswax, incidentally, that's used to coat old capacitors. Modern candle wax might be too stiff.

For my AM listening, I discovered a big improvement just by running a very long wire outdoors, mine's over 100'.

Ideally, for sharper tuning, you may want to look into a set specifically designed for DX listening. If none of the above seems to fit, it may be some part or other has moved beyond spec and your radio's not performing as it should.

Good luck!
Old 11-10-2004, 06:28 AM
Admin

Sorry I missed this one.

What type of antenna are you using ?

Grumpy
Old 11-10-2004, 09:35 AM
VideoKarma Member

Also, be careful on using too long or large of an antenna. In areas near high-powered radio transmitters, either AM or FM, a sensitive antenna can bring in so much of the strong signal to make reception of a desired weaker signal impossible by overpowering it.
And you may want to check and make sure your tubes are good and strong, especially if it is an FM station you are trying to get...check out the FM rf amplifier and oscillator tubes first. Have had a lot of cases of weak tubes causing bad FM performance.