Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-14-2009, 09:56 AM
Old Brown Shoe

National NC-183D

Hey guys,I'm a total N00B when it comes to Ham Radio,but I saw this Nat'l NC-183D on Craig's List and was the lucky buyer. I think it's one of the Coolest Looking boat anchors I've ever seen,even my Wife was Impressed. I'm mechanically inclined and all but have no electronics training and don't want to destroy something that may only be a simple fix. It doesn't look like it was exposed to moisture or abuse,so I plugged it in for a short time and it seemed to come to life. I tried the BC band but only got a Humming sound,and noticed two tubes were out. That's the extent of what I've done until I get some advise on how to proceed. Should I replace the burned out tubes first? or would I be better off finding a Professional? Any feedback is appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nat'l NC-183D_1frt.jpg (7.4 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg Nat'l NC-183D_2tpc.jpg (6.9 KB, 31 views)
Old 11-14-2009, 10:54 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

You have stumbled on one of the more-coveted Boatanchors of them all-183Ds are highly prized. They were called "The Bandswitching HRO" by their fans back in the day. More than likely, it will need a full re-capping-removal & replacement of all bad capacitors, which is not difficult, yet not something a "raw" noob usually attempts. I'd hazard a guess that the tubes are prolly OK in it. Even if they're not, I don't remember any real "exotics" like the 3TF7, or 26Z5Ws like you have in R-390As, so you're prolly not looking at an outrageous fortune if it does need a couple. Congrats on a FINE set. If you spend a little money on repairing it, you'll be rewarded w/a reliable set that should serve you well for a long time !
Old 11-14-2009, 02:14 PM
I like....big sparks!!

First...DO NOT tell us what you paid for that rig...we don't want to get ill. I second Sandy on a nice find...the "D" indicates dual conversion. Without going all technical on you...it means much better selectivity & image rejection than a single-conversion radio. As Sandy said, a full recapping is in order. When you're done, you'll be amazed at how well a nearly-60 year old radio can work! Plus...you'll get good exercise moving it around!
Old 11-14-2009, 02:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

Great find! I'll mention that there are two different NC-183's One is the NC-183 very similar to the NC-173 except it has p/p 6v6's in the audio output. Your's is a NC-183D it's dual conversion set. So when looking for info stuff for the '183 won't be much good. A common problem with those set is a burned up power transformer. It's caused by a paper cap tied across the hv winding. It shorts and will take out the transformer. Please remove it! If it hasn't been already. Manual for it is here: http://bama.edebris.com/manuals/national/nc183d/
Gud lk
Terry
Old 11-14-2009, 04:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by electronjohn View Post
First...DO NOT tell us what you paid for that rig...we don't want to get ill. I second Sandy on a nice find...the "D" indicates dual conversion. Without going all technical on you...it means much better selectivity & image rejection than a single-conversion radio. As Sandy said, a full recapping is in order. When you're done, you'll be amazed at how well a nearly-60 year old radio can work! Plus...you'll get good exercise moving it around!
I'm not much of a ham radio person myself, but if i'm not mistaken, this is the same ultra-bargain mentioned over on AK. (40 bucks for that rascal). I'll have to keep my eyes peeled from now on about old ham radios. (Maybe somebody could trade me some nice hi-fi for one.) Oh....and I'm not feeling ill....yet!
Audiokarma
Old 11-14-2009, 05:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

I would second Sandy's advice that this is not an ideal project for a total beginner. Lots of capacitors to replace, many chances to make a wiring mistake. It would not be a bad idea to practice recapping on a cheap five-tube radio that you get at a thrift store or on eBay.

That said, this article gives basic information about capacitor replacement:

http://antiqueradio.org/recap.htm

Start with the electrolytic capacitors in the power supply. That reduces the risk that you'll fry something like a power transformer, which might cost more to replace than you paid for the whole radio.

A hum in the audio that doesn't change as you turn the volume control is the classic symptom of a bad electrolytic capacitor in the power supply.

Very cool boatanchor, by the way.

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html
Old 11-14-2009, 05:38 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Hate to keep tooting just one horn, but I think it might be a good idea on this one to contact Terry DeWick..He went thru my 183-D, & had it singing just fine..
Old 11-29-2009, 10:46 AM
tube gear fanatic

nice radio indeed and should perform great once fixed all up.i love mine and will never sell.

real radios glow in the dark...
Old 11-29-2009, 11:32 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

NC-183Ds tend to be "retired"-they don't change hands often, & when they do, a good one goes for Bux. I wouldn't dream of selling mine.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

That will be one nice radio when it's all done
Empire 298 TT W/Denon 103 cart
Marantz CD6006, Pioneer DV-588 SACD
Audiokarma