Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

Help identifying RCA XL-100 year

Hello!

I've been driving myself mad trying to find the date of release of the RCA XL-100 console television that belonged to my grandparents. I have a picture that I took in 1983 and I wanted to add info about the set and VCR (also an RCA) for nostalgic reasons.

I am able to narrow the window down a bit. My grandfather always bought RCA. He passed away in 1982 and I know he bought the set. My grandparents moved into a condo in 1981. I am not sure if they bought it then or if they had it at their old house, but they did buy it brand new. I'm about 90% sure they had it before moving, so I'm thinking mid-late '70s.

I scanned the picture at a high resolution and it says RCA XL-100 and underneath what could be ColorTrak. It did not have conventional knobs to change channels, just a button (as can been seen in the closeup). The picture controls were behind a thin, tall door on the right of the screen (also in closeup).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. When I stumbled across this forum, I knew this would be the place to ask.

p.s. blacked out screen as it is old home movies

Old 05-17-2012, 12:24 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

The VCR is possibly a model VCT-400, made in 1978. That is based on seeing the tuner buttons on it (as opposed to rotary knobs). I doubt that the VCR is newer than 1980; the styles had likely changed by then if not sooner. I cannot tell you details about the TV, though.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 05-17-2012, 12:29 AM
VideoKarma Member

I'm going to guess it's in the '77-'78 time period. I think '76 was the first year for the colortrak. This set also looks like it has a motorized tuner.

In the early '70's, RCA came out with the first XL100 sets (XtendedLife 100% solid state). In '76, the colortrak series was introduced. The colortrak sets were supposed to be a step above the XL100's in features and quality.

I've seen a few RCA's from the late '70's that had both the XL100 and colortrak badges on them. It looks like your set falls in that time period.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:45 AM
VideoKarma Member

Yes, the VCR is a VCT-400 as I remember watching a bootleg of Star Wars over and over on it in 1978 (my grandfather worked for NBC and had "connections" lol).

As for the TV, I figured it was late '70s as opposed to 1980 or later. I tried finding an image on google for one that had the same channel changing setup hoping to date the set, but to no avail.

Hopefully someone will recognize the cabinet and the other features and help get the date to a particular year.

Thanks for the help so far!

Brian
Old 05-17-2012, 07:02 PM
M is for Memory

I have one of those VCRs. The darn thing still plays occasionally (when it feels like moving the tape that is). If you're ever in Milwaukee you could always stop by and take that VCR off my hands for a song.

Never seen that TV though as far as I can recall.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma
Old 05-18-2012, 12:16 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

Tom, since you like old VCRs, you should keep and restore your VCT-400. It is the first programmable VCR ever made (that is, the first one that could be set to record more than one show, on more than one channel). Every DVR ever made can be traced back to that machine (or to home VCRs in general perhaps).

Mine is just sitting on a shelf for now, but I did buy a new video head drum for it when MCM still sold them.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 05-18-2012, 12:46 PM
M is for Memory

I may open it up and see if I can get it reliable, but I'm not very proficient at fixing newer stuff. That said the electronics are good and I'm better with the mechanical end on these things so I may someday open it up and work on it when the dozens of more interesting projects I have are done or become less interesting than it.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 05-18-2012, 04:28 PM
Banned

You're grandfather must must have been a large powerful faith man to afford an upper caste TV of such large endowment. My uncle Bashir who owned by rich man in my village who had such TV and first time VCR, but was killed by rival party. The black screen is scaring to me. Does it show the unmarried or unclean woman? I wish you have the luck to gain knowledge. I am saying the TV is much newer of 1984-5.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjarali View Post
The black screen is scaring to me. Does it show the unmarried or unclean woman?
It showed woman cleaning, in shower.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:32 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjarali View Post
I am saying the TV is much newer of 1984-5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianito View Post
He passed away in 1982 and I know he bought the set.
Audiokarma
Old 05-20-2012, 12:18 AM
VideoKarma Member

My friend in Georgia gave me the info on the TV he has the brochure for it.
It is a model Ga8365 made from June 76 to June 77.
Old 05-20-2012, 03:35 AM
VideoKarma Member

Oh! Thank you! It's the same cabinet and everything? Wow...thank you so, so much.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:37 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by damen View Post
My friend in Georgia gave me the info on the TV he has the brochure for it.
It is a model Ga8365 made from June 76 to June 77.
Almost correct. It is a GA835S
Old 05-20-2012, 11:09 AM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

The TV appears to be a CTC-81, if I'm correct. Year unsure, but I think they only had that long vertical control door in combination with the single key channel button on the CTC-81. Possibly carried over to the unitized CTC-92, but I don't think so. Did it have the "upholstered" remote hand unit? If so, it was indeed an 81.

Charles
Old 05-20-2012, 01:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

The 81 was the "good" colortrak chassis that was built like a tank and I think it was only made for one model year. Then, they went to the much cheaper flat modular chassis.
Audiokarma