Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:12 PM
Administrator

Picked up an RCA 17-PD-9062

According to the model number this is a 1959 model I think, probably sold in 1958.

I've been chasing it all week since seeing it on CL but the seller and I couldn't arrange to meet, then yesterday he said someone else was coming to get it, today he sent me an e-mail that the other buyer had postponed so I drove the 40 miles to get it this evening.

Seller was a real nice guy, he does Estate sales and consignments and he had a Suite full of goodies including a 47 Seeburg Trash Can jukebox.

I asked to test the CRT before buying which he agreed to, turns out the CRT was replaced on November 10th 1959 (set was barely a year old?), one month fourteen days before I was born and it still checks like new!

Black painted cabinet is in great shape but needs cleaned up a bit. It must have a bad power switch since there is a toggle mounted in the back cover.
Also a cooling fan has been added so someone was using this sometime in the modern era. Set currently gets a raster but it's not linear and the sound is motorboating so it needs the usual recap.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg black17rca-1.jpg (26.9 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg blackrca17-2.jpg (31.7 KB, 46 views)
Old 01-19-2014, 10:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

That's a great looking set Eric! Nice score.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:30 PM
Administrator

Thanks, I love these RCA's with the gold trim around the front, they seem to have made them from the 1956 through 1959 model years. After that it was slimline and plastic.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:37 AM
Chasin roundies since '79

Somewhere, I have one of these stashed away. White, with red knobs. Transformer powered and received OTA at the time, maybe in the 90's...
Old 01-22-2014, 09:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hey I have one of those RCA sets I think I will be selling mine at the convention in May and several other sets that are also metal cabinet sets so see you at the Early Television Convention happy collecting...Timothy
Audiokarma
Old 01-24-2014, 09:45 PM
Administrator

I cleaned up the chassis and started recapping it.
I've done all the paper caps on the PC board and a few on the front of the chassis, no electrolytics and there are probably a half dozen paper caps left, mostly .1 which I am out of.
The yoke cover on this one is as bad or worse as the last one, there is literally nothing left of it except the metal clamp and centering rings, I'll have to figure out something to hold the yoke in place.

Anyhow, it's looking pretty good and the sound is strong! the set was partially working to start with so that makes it easier usually.

I had the yoke on upside down so I rotated the picture, that's why the kitchen counter is on top.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 17testpattern.jpg (36.0 KB, 13 views)