Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Flat Panels & Digital Format

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-19-2016, 08:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
Be sure to keep this in mind... the chart that I linked to above is typical for new caps, some increase is normal over useful life. Caps that have 10 times or more than typical new value are suspect.
I have even seen new (cheap) caps that were about 2 times the value stated on the chart and they seemed to work ok, while higher quality brands usually beat the chart number by a significant margin.

jr
The capacitors I checked measured over 8-10 Ohms some even over 30-50 ohms, the ones that measured only .05-.75 ohms I basically said was good. although since there aren't that many capacitors in the power supply circuit on the Westinghouse TV, I figured I'll just replace all of the capacitors and be done with it. I plan on replacing them with Nichicon caps (the originals were Nippon Chemicon caps.) I put in an order without actually submitting the order and it will be about $15 to get all of the caps ordered for the Westinghouse TV and that price includes shipping.
Old 06-21-2016, 05:18 PM
Banned

Y-Sustain Boards on eBay

Hello everyone, I just did a search for the Y-Sustain board I need for this TV (The HP Plasma) and there are a couple on there with buy it now or best offer prices, with one going for $62 buy it now price or best offer and another one going for $74 buy it now or best offer and yet another one going for $94 buy it now or best offer, and I'm guessing that all of these prices are way too high for what they ought to be, so with that in mind what would be a good price to offer if I was to use the "best offer" option to try and get the board? I was thinking $25-$30 or so, and yes all three of these boards are reported as being functioning boards by the sellers who said that they came out of TVs with broken screens but otherwise were fully functioning because they removed the boards from the broken TVs and tested them out in a good TV, and I was thinking $25-$30 because of the fact that they can't guarantee the board's longevity since it is a board that is known to malfunction after a while, depending on how hard the TV is used.

What do you guys think? Any input and suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 06-22-2016, 07:25 AM
VideoKarma Member

You aren't going to get a working board for $30. If you could get one for even $50 I'd be surprised. It's a high demand board since there are so many TVs that use it.

Don't forget, you might be able to recoup some of your money by selling the bad board as a core. At least that's what I used to do, I don't know if they still have any value.
Old 06-22-2016, 01:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoogarXR View Post
You aren't going to get a working board for $30. If you could get one for even $50 I'd be surprised. It's a high demand board since there are so many TVs that use it.

Don't forget, you might be able to recoup some of your money by selling the bad board as a core. At least that's what I used to do, I don't know if they still have any value.
I guess I'll go for the cheapest one for sale on ebay and then just resell the old board and see how I come out. I might even just offer them $50 and see if they bite since its not too far off of their original asking price of $62, I'll have to wait until I get paid tomorrow to do anything though.
Old 07-06-2016, 07:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

Here are some pic of tired panels in LG plasmas. These are 42V7s, one generation before the 42X3 in your HP set. I've had many 42X3s in the same condition.

One of these was working as found, but likely dumped due to the dots. The other needed a Y-Sustain (which I had on hand) which got the set going again, but it doesn't produce a watchable picture (at least for me, I've seen people tolerate worse). You can see someone watched a lot of FOX sports.

The dots vary with scene content and vary over time. They do seem to get better (but never go away completely) when the set is left on for a while.

There is a degree of adjustment on the Y-sustain board, and sometimes they can be tweaked to produce a better picture; With these two adjusting gave you a choice or bright dots or dark dots - no happy medium.

I have read that the dots can be caused by bad caps on the sustain boards, but I have tried recapping them in the past and it did not improve the picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg misdis1.JPG (94.2 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg misdis3.JPG (67.4 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg misdis4.jpg (103.5 KB, 25 views)
Audiokarma
Old 07-15-2016, 06:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.ido View Post
Here are some pic of tired panels in LG plasmas. These are 42V7s, one generation before the 42X3 in your HP set. I've had many 42X3s in the same condition.

One of these was working as found, but likely dumped due to the dots. The other needed a Y-Sustain (which I had on hand) which got the set going again, but it doesn't produce a watchable picture (at least for me, I've seen people tolerate worse). You can see someone watched a lot of FOX sports.

The dots vary with scene content and vary over time. They do seem to get better (but never go away completely) when the set is left on for a while.

There is a degree of adjustment on the Y-sustain board, and sometimes they can be tweaked to produce a better picture; With these two adjusting gave you a choice or bright dots or dark dots - no happy medium.

I have read that the dots can be caused by bad caps on the sustain boards, but I have tried recapping them in the past and it did not improve the picture.
The pictures of those "dot" issues don't look that bad to me, I was expecting dots the size of dead pixels in an LCD TV but those "dots" are barely noticeable, I had to look really hard at those pictures to even see the "dots" you were talking about. I haven't checked eBay recently to see if there are anymore Y-Sustain boards for sale that are under $80 or not (as I would like to try and keep the repair costs on this TV down as much as possible so I can try and make at least a little money off of this TV when I go to resell it.
Old 07-17-2016, 07:49 AM
VideoKarma Member

The dots are the size of individual pixels. The white picture with the FOX sports logo is supposed to be a full white screen - The colored pixels shouldn't be there and represent pixels that are not lighting, or not lighting fully. On the black picture with the FOX sports logo it should be a completely black screen, the lit pixels should not be lit.

I sold one of these for $60 after other buyers rejected it at $80. Some people don't notice the dots, or are willing to live with them if the price is low enough.

Stick it on the shelf for a while until another set you can get a board from turns up for the right price.