Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-28-2002, 09:52 PM
Administrator

Just got a Crosley

A co-worker of mine called me today and said he had saved an old Crosley from the dumpster and would I like to have it, of course I said yes.

Don't know what exactly I have yet but it looks like a 12" tube with a rectangular mask. It's actually a DuMont chassis with the inductuner and a tuning eye.

More later after I check it out better.

Eric
Old 10-28-2002, 11:45 PM
Administrator

More

Mmmkay, looks like I have a Crosley 9-407.
It's a 12" tabletop model with continuious tuning and a magic eye! i.e. it's a DuMont ,cool because I don't have a Crosley or a DuMont in my collection.
The set is complete except for a couple knobs, hopefully they wont be too hard to find.

The 12JP4 CRT was sound asleep but after cooking it for a short time at 8 volts it woke up and is now checking solidly in the good zone

The chassis is incredibly dusty, spider webby, and generally filthy but looks good and non-rusty under all the dirt.

The cabinet naturally is a mess, generally pretty solid but the finish is non existant. I do like the styling of it though, it has some curves and style, not just a square box.

Another big project but at least this one was free

Eric
Old 10-29-2002, 05:20 AM
AK Member

I thought a Crosley was a car-about the same size as that TV. Are you sure it's not supposed to have wheels?
It is a neat looking tv though.
Brad
Old 10-29-2002, 12:08 PM
On Land

Eric,

Damn! That set looks like it has been hanging out in the attic of the TV shop I was lurking through last week!

He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Old 10-29-2002, 01:02 PM
Robert Dusel

Another Crosley..

Eric,
I also picked up a Crosley TV to restore (although I had to pay for mine!). It is the smaller 10" model with FM. Like yours it also has the continuous tuner but no tuning eye.
Did all Crosleys use Dumont chassis?
I am going to need the schematics and service literature if anybody happens to have a copy laying around for a Crosley 9-403m.....
So post your progress and I will be reading intently. I hope to start work on the TV after the holidays. And thanks in advance for any hints and info that the group has on this TV.....

Rob Dusel
Audiokarma
Old 10-30-2002, 02:03 AM
Administrator

FM

Hi Robert, I hadn't noticed before that mine has FM too.
The selector switch is marked PH-FM-TEL-TEL
anyone know why there are two Television positions?

Eric
Old 10-30-2002, 05:17 AM
VideoKarma Member

Smile

Eric,

One position turns the tuning dial lights on, the other is for guessing where you're tuning. (dial light off)

Chuck
Old 10-30-2002, 11:07 AM
Robert Dusel

Tuning eye envy...

Now you are making me all jealous that I don't have a tuning eye... That is one of my favorite features!
The FM radio is something that really attracted me to the Crosleys as it will double the usefulness of the set. Also, I am going to see if there is an easy way to add a switch or relay to shut off the CRT filament when the unit is set to play FM (to preserve the life).
Rob
Old 11-09-2002, 02:05 AM
Administrator

DuCrosley

I replaced one shorted can filter and have replaced about half the paper caps and this dirty mess is starting to work.
It has NO sync at all, it rolls both directions but at least I can see a picture.

The black gunk on the screen was the rubber CRT mount padding decomposing into a tar like goo, it's horribly messy stuff

Eric
Old 11-14-2002, 08:41 PM
Administrator

Looking better

OK, this old set is looking better.

I had to buy a few tubes including a new Tuning Eye tube. This eye tube isn't very attractive compared to the traditional eye style.

The original DuMont branded CRT isn't in the best shape, it takes awhile to look it's best and it has a quarter sized ion burn in the center but it works at least.

Here's a picture
Audiokarma
Old 11-14-2002, 09:16 PM
On Land

Eric,

The Cros is lookin good!!! Can't really tell in the photo that it has a burn on the tube. Picture looks great!

Is that tuning indicator a 6AL7? Did it origionally have a 6U5 or 6E5? The square bars can replace the eye? Do you have to use an adapter?

I have a 6AL7 here that is the spare for the RDF from the old T-2 ship I used to work on. Just sittin on the shelf in the box, and the RDF is on the floor in the garage with another tube in it. I'd use them if I could plug 'em in something else... i know I will never use the RDF.

He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Old 11-14-2002, 09:27 PM
Administrator

Eye

Hi Charlie,
the tube is a 6AL7 and that is the correct tube for the set.

The one shown is a new one from AES, fortunantly they are pretty cheap but they are not as attractive as a regular eye.

This one doesn't seem to do anything when tuning the TV, I thought I saw some deflection when tuning the radio though.

Eric