Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:13 AM
complete novice

if i gave up, whod i see to fix my set?

I fully realize that im not a smart guy, smart guys arent 29 and work at lumber yards. Im a tinker-er though. I keep my studebaker going and take real pride in that, its tough for me having to read books and figure out how to do auto stuff, but I love having a classic driver. Ive a dozen old radios ive recapped, rewired and refinnished, hanging about that play well. A vinyl collection that no one under 40 seems to appreciate. but these tv's.. I keep reading and rereading and none of it makes ANY sense.

Is there anyone you all could agree on, who would give me a good price to replace the cans on my 50 motorola? Ive done the simple recapping, had an uncle check the work with me, its done correct. The crt seems to be good. Had the fillament light up, the "flash getter" isnt discolored and is still metal colored. Plus the 12lp4a has a lot of variants that could be made to work in it, even if it is bad, which i think it will be usable.

So, who is an honest man to see about getting my baby up and running? Ive full intention of garaging my bpc color set and using her full time.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:08 AM
John Q

I can recommend Tom Albrecht. He's in San Jose and has restored about fifteen sets for me at this point. They all work well. When one developes a problem he and I work together to fix it one step at a time. If I can't fix it I'm always invited to bring it back and he will fix it in his shop on the next visit. He's a videokarma member and you can reach him via private message.

Good luck

BTW He restored my avatar you see here.

Last edited by charokeeroad; 06-08-2011 at 09:55 AM.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:05 AM
VideoKarma Member

If you're in Tacoma, there are two collector clubs within driving distance, in Seattle and Portland.

PSARA:
http://www.eskimo.com/~hhagen/psara/

NWVRS:
http://www.nwvrs.org/

You could contact the club and ask if they know anyone who's able & willing to finish your project. Those guys are out there -- you just need to find them.

Is there a particular reason why you don't want to tackle the electrolytic cans? They are usually pretty straightforward to replace. This article has basic info about recapping, and the members of this forum are always happy to offer advice.

http://antiqueradio.org/recap.htm

On the other hand, there's no shame in turning it over to someone who can guarantee it will be done quickly and correctly. I know what it's like to get impatient and just want the darned thing to work

Phil Nelson
Old 06-08-2011, 03:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

jbivy, if you can keep a classic car going these days with parts harder to come by, and can restore antique radios by looking and reading and doing, and you're not afraid to go into antique televisions (which are kind of like a collection of several radios in one case,) I think you're a pretty smart and resourceful guy.

Perfection is hard to reach with a screwdriver.