Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-24-2014, 06:04 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hmm. Tubejunke, I think you have a point.
Not wanting something hard and uncomfortable.
I googled for vintage furniture for 1920's, 1940's, and 1950's but
did not find what I mentally thought of "1950's vintage".
Might be what I perceive is called something else.

Some of the pictures I noted were couches I remember as "uncomfortable":-)

Carl
Old 01-24-2014, 06:07 AM
VideoKarma Member

This is exactly what I've been thinking about!!! I have a 12 x 16 room I use to use for a music studio. I am in the process of converting it into my drem 50s family room. Looking for vintage furniture now. Hopefully if the stars align I can have it finished by the time I'm done with the cabinet restoration in my Motorola 9vt1. This room idea is the whole reason for restoring this TV. Call me crazy but the Motorola might be the only vintage TV I restore. I usually just restore radios.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:11 AM
VideoKarma Member

I found what I think is a classical 1950's Kitchen, but nothing that I identify with a living room.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 50s theme kitchen-50s theme kitchen.jpg (50.1 KB, 94 views)

Last edited by Celt; 01-24-2014 at 06:53 AM.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:01 AM
...enjoys spaghetti.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwmoser View Post
Hmm. Tubejunke, I think you have a point.
Not wanting something hard and uncomfortable.
I googled for vintage furniture for 1920's, 1940's, and 1950's but
did not find what I mentally thought of "1950's vintage".
Might be what I perceive is called something else.

Some of the pictures I noted were couches I remember as "uncomfortable":-)

Carl
I think this is the style people are thinking of when it comes to "vintage overstuffed". I know, because I would like to get something like this re-foamed/upholstered for my living room.

BTWw, if you think people abuse the terms "art deco", "antique", etc. When it comes to electronics, you should see how they butcher furniture. Makes it almost impossible to search.

As for living back in time... Bring it! I'm driving a 25 year old car everyday in a snowy -1 temp winter and daily-drive a 60+ year old car all summer. (There is a new-retro car in the driveway that I haven't driven in months) No flat screens, no cable. I watch nothing new on TV and mostly listen to the radio. My kitchen appliances are 50 years old, except for my microwave; which is 40. I mostly use the internet to seach out and converse about things I'd be buying new anyways, so no loss there. What is this facebook machine people keep talking about?
Old 01-24-2014, 11:00 AM
Motorola Minion

I once had a sofa and matching chair like this one in the link below. They were very comfortable, although only appear overstuffed. I spent many an hour watching my 1977 Magnavox Touch-tune 25"(T995 / BA4640) from this nest.

http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&b...ed=0CFcQrQMwAQ
Audiokarma
Old 01-25-2014, 01:00 AM
VideoKarma Member

Cwmoser was right I think. Most of the furniture then was somewhat uncomfortable compared to the actually overstuffed pieces that most of us have come to know in more recent decades. That green couch Carmine (my lost Italian brother) posted would be about as overstuffed as they came back then.

That thing is one nice looking piece of furniture by any standards I think, with the exeption of the color in my opinion, but that was a popular color in both home and auto upholstery back then for some reason. I almost bought an Edsel once that looked like it was garage kept by someone's grandmother. It even had the clear seat covers that people got back then. The car was like $1,600 in about 1991 when there was still a lot of nice old iron around for real decent prices, but the color and the two extra doors kept me from grabbing it. I wound up with a 1959 Impala two door hardtop with the factory big block for $900. Now I want to cry because I let go of so much stuff that is crazy high priced and hard to find these days.

Carmine's story of preferring to actually use vintage stuff is like a carbon copy of my life. Uncanny really! Is it an Italian thing I wonder?!?!? I am or Rosati blood Carmine! Roman rebels my Pop Pop always told me!
Old 01-26-2014, 07:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubejunke View Post
...Carmine's story of preferring to actually use vintage stuff is like a carbon copy of my life. Uncanny really! Is it an Italian thing I wonder?!?!?...
I think Italians, like myself, are often one of the more nostalgic groups. I've noticed that through the years.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:26 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

If you are interested in this topic, you might be interested in the Formica house from the 1964-65 New York World's Fair:
http://www.nywf64.com/formica01.shtml
Old 01-26-2014, 08:18 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Carmine's story of preferring to actually use vintage stuff is like a carbon copy of my life. Uncanny really! Is it an Italian thing I wonder?!?!?
Usually I guess. I'm that way as well, but I'm an exception to the rule around here. Given the choice, I would have a bunch of 1981-early 1985 Mercury Lynxes for everyday use and never buy a modern so-called "car". I know that they don't have a very good reputation, mostly thanks to neglectful/abusive owners, but they rival a 4x4 in the snow.

What the heck is fakebook?
Old 01-28-2014, 10:36 PM
Slave to 1 Cat

Quote:
I have, and prefer to have things of most all time periods of recent history in my home. I consider recent history to be most anything in the 20th century. technology was sort of on a slow boat before that and somehow things took off like, well, a rocket in the 20th century. I always tell people that in more or less a single human life span we went from pretty much a horse and buggy for transportation and little to no electricity to men walking on the moon, space stations, and computer controlled everything (including people).

One day, probably after we are long gone historians will marvel at these times the way we wonder about the Great Pyramids and such. HOW did we do it? So, again I have things of many decades all through my home and I put most of it to use. I can proudly say that less of it is PC/neo modern junk. I don't own a flat screen TV and it's not because I can't afford one. I like to percolate my coffee and I tend to get more done listening to the radio than watching television, but I have plenty of TVs, so I can't say much there. I have a special attraction to the old TVs that I am starting to think is a mental disorder or some "savant" nature. Maybe that is a bit to extreme. Perhaps we all have some eccentricity of sorts that simply makes us unique. But not many people get the old TV thing. They never have.....
I remember having a discussion at work one time about this where the 20th Century experienced the fastest technology growth and it might not be rivalled for a long time to come. Just compare 1901 to 2000.
Audiokarma
Old 01-29-2014, 05:02 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
..... I have a special attraction to the old TVs that I am starting to think is a mental disorder or some "savant" nature. Maybe that is a bit to extreme. Perhaps we all have some eccentricity of sorts that simply makes us unique. But not many people get the old TV thing. They never have.....
I once heard it said that EVERYONE can be pigeon-holed into some mental psychosis if you find a need to have to pigeon-hole someone. I find the hobby of collecting and enjoying vintage radios/TV's a fun pastime. What are typical "normal" pastimes? Getting drunk on a couch and watch guys on a field chasing a ball around?!
Just enjoy and don't analyze is my recommendation.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:58 AM
VideoKarma Member

I was thinking about something like these:
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Sofa.jpeg (50.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpeg Chair.jpeg (33.6 KB, 7 views)
Old 01-29-2014, 08:17 AM
electronics packrat

Those are from the 30's.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

There's a whole sub culture of people who not only decorate but live their lives everyday like it is still the 1950's http://www.wired.com/rawfile/2014/01...ife-like-1955/