Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-02-2019, 06:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

Talking The Superb Owl in the New York Times

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/01/s...uperb-owl.html

It doesn't mention me, and I have no way of knowing if I first invented it or not If I did, I release it to the public domain. But if someone else wrote it before I did, I can't.

About ten years ago the NFL was making advertisers stop saying "Superbowl" in their commercials. So most went to "the big game". To make some fun of this I thought up "Superb Owl" There was one commercial for chip dip or some such food item for football games that said "That would be super, like a bowl of our dip..." So I thought up "Superb Owl"
Old 02-02-2019, 07:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

It can be a hoot wondering if you're the world's sole inventor of a word. A long time ago, I invented 'gondoofus' (or gondufus), meaning a doofus (or dufus) that's gone over the edge. So far, it doesn't come up using multiple search engines.
Old 02-03-2019, 12:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

My fav word is titillating, a nice happy fun word but I needed a word for the opposite and dreamed up the word hemorrhoidilating for that. i doubt I'll see that one anywhere else, lol

Congrats on the Superb Owl !!!
Old 02-03-2019, 12:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

When I was directing in studios and there was something on cam that was not supposed to be there...lint on a suit...stray something on a table...it was a "fernard". "Get rid of that fernard on the coffee table". Not invented by me.
Old 02-03-2019, 06:53 PM
M is for Memory

ISTR around the time I first saw Superb Owl used here someone linked a craigslist ad for a TV with that accidental misspelling...And I always thought you lifted it from there. :shrugs:

I'm watchin' the owl on a RCA 21CT55 and a Sony Super-fine-pitch HDCRT...The game seems a lot less superb than the sets I'm watching it on though.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma
Old 02-03-2019, 07:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
ISTR around the time I first saw Superb Owl used here someone linked a craigslist ad for a TV with that accidental misspelling...And I always thought you lifted it from there. :shrugs:

I'm watchin' the owl on a RCA 21CT55 and a Sony Super-fine-pitch HDCRT...The game seems a lot less superb than the sets I'm watching it on though.
I've heard it called that for far longer than I've been here at VK and to be honest I always thought it was kinda geeky . Kinda like the whole "goat" thing (acronym for "Greatest Of All Time") , , , Geeeeeky !