Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Diagnostic & Test Equipment

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-26-2010, 09:06 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV View Post
The best DMM I have ever used (and I still do use) is a Beckman Tech 310. It has not been made for probably 15-20 years, though.

I have a few of the Harbor Freight DMMs that often go on sale for $3 each, and it is certainly usable for basic stuff.
I lucked out and got a MIB Beckman 4410 - their TOTL True-RMS "handheld" - from a eBayer - for $13, including shipping! It eats batteries, but I love the 4-1/2 digit display. It's one use is measuring those tiny 1% resistors. I hate having to figure out the colors - is that red or orange? Measuring a 1% resistor is a breeze with it. I use my Fluke 75 for 99% of my measuring needs.

As for the $3 HF meters, I have about 30 of them, all "MEET USA" brand - got them in Dubai at their 5&10 store. I paid 5 Dirhams each, or about $1.36 each, with an alkaline battery that was actually pretty good. I checked them for accuracy - 50VDC from my Fluke 332B measured +/- .5V, or about 1% basic DC accuracy. AC was off by about 3-1/2% at 60Hz, and 12% out at 400Hz. Resistance is the worst, about 10 percent off across the board. Still, they are ok for measuring use with the truck, or as a go/no-go tester for Christmas lights. I've yet to toss one out, which is what my original plans were should one fail. But for regular use, these are useless.

Cheers,
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!