Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-19-2016, 12:15 PM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Looks like 2 things going on. I see the wavy color bands which indicate a bad open elecrolytic maybe in a B+ line feeding the head amp or other video circuits or on a motor power line, something like that. Also a horiz noise band across the middle of the pic looking like worn heads or tape back tension problems or both.
Old 12-19-2016, 06:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Tx View Post
Looks like 2 things going on. I see the wavy color bands which indicate a bad open elecrolytic maybe in a B+ line feeding the head amp or other video circuits or on a motor power line, something like that. Also a horiz noise band across the middle of the pic looking like worn heads or tape back tension problems or both.
I take it that the problems aren't going to be easy to fix? If so should I just tell my friend at church that the VCR is just about had it and that he just needs to break down and buy another VCR?
Obviously he's gonna have to buy another older VCR (seeing as VCRs are no longer made and the VCRs made over the past 10 years aren't worth plunking money down on).

Last edited by Captainclock; 12-19-2016 at 07:00 PM.
Old 12-28-2016, 06:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

Cover the end sensor holes in the cassette basket with black tape and remove the room lights so you can put it in play with no tape. You might have to spin the supply reel (on left) by hand to keep it going. Do you see snow on the screen or just that color banded jibberish? If you see snow then your heads are probably bad. If you see the same color squiggles, are there grounding screws on the head amp board? You could try tightening them. I don't know if that model has a head relay but you could try tapping on it. Looks like a bad ground or open circuit in the head signal path.

Last edited by retrogear; 12-28-2016 at 07:03 PM.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrogear View Post
Cover the end sensor holes in the cassette basket with black tape and remove the room lights so you can put it in play with no tape. You might have to spin the supply reel (on left) by hand to keep it going. Do you see snow on the screen or just that color banded jibberish? If you see snow then your heads are probably bad. If you see the same color squiggles, are there grounding screws on the head amp board? You could try tightening them. I don't know if that model has a head relay but you could try tapping on it. Looks like a bad ground or open circuit in the head signal path.
OK, I'll give that a shot. There's nothing to lose.