Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:33 PM

Consoles

Hi, new here and will try posting pictures of one of my consoles.

Hope this works out! My 800B was lacking the turntable and I just happened to have a Dual 1229 doing nothing. My other console is a Maggy, will post pictures if this works out.
Regards, Jerry
Old 03-22-2013, 08:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

Nice work on the retrofit there. Good TT too, should do good justice for the EH Scott equipment in that thing.

Was it a drop-in fit, or did you have to modify the cutout?
Old 03-22-2013, 08:45 PM

Nick, the base board actually had two sheets of wood one on top of the other with different cut outs. It was obvious someone had added a different changer after the original but it wasn't there. I removed both sheets and put in a single cut out from the paper template that came with the turntable when we bought it somewhere around the late 60's. Never throw away that stuff.
Jerry
Old 03-22-2013, 08:52 PM
Motorola Minion

There a few turntables worthy of living in that Scott. I bet that sounds fantastic. What cartridge are you using?

How is the cartridge headshell doing on that Scott?
I have two 1009s and both give me contact trouble.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:19 AM
VideoKarma Member

Adding to my Stable of FISHER's....

Model 950 1963 Executive VIII. Italian Provincial. Got the cabinet for free, with the turntable and speakers. Added my 800-C, traded faceplates with a friend who had a 800-C with Executive on it.

Wife LOVES IT!!! Has the original Garrard Type A MKII. Tempted to swap in my Miracord 50H as the garrard is too noisy for me. Haven't decided yet. Or a DUAL 1009 I have laying around doing nothing.

In the living room just after re-assembly.

Garrard Type A MkII. Works perfectly after cleaning. The Foam between the platter's had rotted out so I cut 2 circles of small bubble wrap and used 3m 770 spray adhesive to glue them to the top platter. Works really nice.

All closed up and in Dining Room.

Left side. This one came with Record dividers. Anyone got a AMPEX 1250 R2R?

EDIT: 21NOV2014: About 6 months after I got the cabinet the previous owner and I made a deal where I would get the original 800-C for this console. So it is now complete except for the K-10 expander. I'm still looking for a AMPEX 1250 R2R.

Larry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_3861.jpg (72.6 KB, 286 views)
File Type: jpg 100_3860.jpg (87.6 KB, 276 views)
File Type: jpg 100_3897.jpg (69.7 KB, 274 views)
File Type: jpg 100_3900.jpg (74.0 KB, 272 views)

Stick yer arm out.....it won't hurt me a bit!!!

Last edited by larryderouin; 11-21-2014 at 07:51 AM.
Audiokarma
Old 03-23-2013, 12:52 PM

Dave, I'm running a Shure RXT-4 Cartridge in my Dual and have yet to have any problems with the connection pins. Certainly begs the question, "How does that work with the Scott?". When I picked up the console, it had a preamp attached.
Jerry
Old 03-23-2013, 06:45 PM
johnny the raster master!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpatoray View Post
OK I will add my Zenith 10-S-155 to the mix. I know I am missing 2 knobs, this came out of my grandma's basement, it had been in the workshop of my Step Grandfather, covered in paint and junk. It works quite well after a full recap.

Matt
i used to have one of those from the indianapolis police department.

Looking for zenith cobramatic parts

-johnny the raster master!
Old 11-27-2013, 02:08 AM
VideoKarma Member

Rca victor k-80 (original speaker anyone?)

These images are of a 1939 RCA VICTOR Model K-80. My actual radio is actually in much better shape than this one, but the triplet image gives a better pictorial of my radio and some issues that I wouldn't mind dealing with if possible.

For the sake of the topic, my grandfather brought me this radio back in the early 80s from PA to VA. I suspect he picked it up at some auction as he was doing a lot of that back then. At the time I was in high school and taking electronics. I always had a strange attraction to radios of about this vintage and later television sets. Nobody knows why really; not even me. I was born with a desire to obtain and sort of give new life to long forgotten and neglected gadgets of all sorts, but primarily electronic ones.

Anyway, the radio came to me with no speaker and by that time I had obtained and parted a number of basket cases, so I had a large speaker sitting around. The problem that I was presented with was that many radios then had the audio output transformer mounted on the speaker with a plastic plug. Basically I was able to cobble what was needed out of a smaller speaker with the transformer and plug. I was able to transfer the parts to the large speaker and rig up a way to mount the parts. Also, the speaker was not quite as large as the original which I believe is 12", so it hangs to this day on one mounting stud.

The pictures here show the correct speaker which I would like to obtain if anyone has one that they would be willing to let go of. What I rigged up all those years ago works fine, but I am a stickler for things being completely stock with no alterations. I just had no choice back then, nor did I have an Internet or V-K. Like other electronic goodies I have posted about, this radio is 100% unrestored and works great! I wouldn't hesitate to let it play for hours on end and I do several times a year. I find examples of radio and TV still working normally after so many years completely fascinating and I am proud to own a few examples.

Last, a number of years back I cracked the dial glass. Luckily it is just a lower corner snapped off and is not all that noticeable. If anyone here has an extra dial glass I would be interested in that as well, but the speaker is the most important item.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RCA_K80.jpg (45.8 KB, 62 views)

Last edited by Tubejunke; 12-21-2013 at 11:18 PM.
Old 05-23-2014, 06:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

Nice consoles guys!
Old 05-23-2014, 06:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

My avatar is my only console, love it though...
Audiokarma
Old 11-20-2014, 10:16 AM
VideoKarma Member

Picked up this Scott the other day. It is brutally heavy! Someone had removed one of the fuse holders and replaced the line cord. I just started working on the amplifier chassis. The biggest problem is... where to put it! It is huge!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF8371.jpg (77.9 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF8372.jpg (83.4 KB, 34 views)
Old 11-21-2014, 07:53 AM
VideoKarma Member

I just finished a restoration on a 1949 FISHER Model 24 Anniversary console in the georgian cabinet. See this thread on AK for details and pics. I'll get more pictures next week when I deliver the chassis's and install them in the cabinet.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=615901

Stick yer arm out.....it won't hurt me a bit!!!
Old 11-21-2014, 12:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith26kc20 View Post
Picked up this Scott the other day. It is brutally heavy! Someone had removed one of the fuse holders and replaced the line cord. I just started working on the amplifier chassis. The biggest problem is... where to put it! It is huge!
I have one just like it. The cabinet is known as the Chippendale Grande. A heavy beast, for sure.
When working on the amp and FM IF chassis, be aware of the 4 MFD @ 600 volt capacitor! It's a oil cap with PCB oil in it. I personally, wouldn't replace it.
Also, in the receiver chassis, there's a mess of, what we used to call "bath-tub" capacitors. Those are oil, as well. IIRC, the caps are war surplus.
Old 04-25-2015, 07:26 AM
VideoKarma Member

Got this for free. rescued it from the curb before it was on the way to the dump. A quick check and it seems that one channel is out. I took the faceplate off to wash when I took the picture, but it says "Computer Crafted" on it. It doesn't have a "volume" control either. It says "loudness". Weird.
Anyway, it's a model VMT 88. Late 60's maybe?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015-04-24 19.30.28.jpg (73.4 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 2015-04-24 19.30.51.jpg (71.2 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 2015-04-25 08.09.10.jpg (62.7 KB, 22 views)
Old 05-06-2015, 07:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

My favorites

A GE E81 and Atwater Kent 60. I was given the GE and only paid $40 for the near perfect Atwater Kent.

However, the Atwater Kent needed some serious component kung fu. The person who sold it to me use deox-it on the volume control thereby destroying the control. They have a wire wound unit and ganged on it is a graphite cardboard connected to the RF front end. I had to cut a new cardboard fitting and painted it with paint overloaded with graphite pencil shavings, works perfect!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fuji1.JPG (90.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Fuji2.jpg (84.6 KB, 20 views)
Audiokarma