Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-01-2018, 08:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

Ikegami 9 inch color CRT production monitor, no picture

I bought a 9 inch ikegami CRT color broadcast monitor model TM-9 manufactured November 2000. I bought it to test some vintage video equipment but I cannot get it to produce a picture. I know the TV works. I currently using a standard RF or coaxial or aerial lead depending on your country and to make it work with the SDI inputs on the monitor I'm using a BNC male to F female adapter monoprice part 4125. Do I need a actual RF to SDI converter if such a thing exists?
Old 12-01-2018, 09:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

An RF to SDI converter would be a tuner. And yes, you'll need one if you're trying to view broadcast television.
If it's this one, https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ield_Rack.html
it's a standard def monitor with selectable aspect ratios. SDI is SD only. Don't know if they made other input modules for it.
If you look up the full model number (from the back perhaps) you can determine the real specs, and feed it with the proper input signal to see if it works.

Last edited by Chip Chester; 12-01-2018 at 09:12 PM.
Old 12-02-2018, 11:20 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Chester View Post
An RF to SDI converter would be a tuner. And yes, you'll need one if you're trying to view broadcast television.
If it's this one, https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ield_Rack.html
it's a standard def monitor with selectable aspect ratios. SDI is SD only. Don't know if they made other input modules for it.
If you look up the full model number (from the back perhaps) you can determine the real specs, and feed it with the proper input signal to see if it works.
This the monitor here http://www.broadcaststore.com/store/....cfm?id=658632

They say it accepts composite video which is what the VCR outputs as via the RF lead. I'm trying to find a RF to SDI digital convertor. I'll probably need a RF modulator first to convert the RF to RCA composite(yellow red and white) then convert that to HDMI then convert that to SDI. That should give it the digital signal it wants. I'm no trying to watch over the air TV but rather use it to test old VCRS or CED players.
Old 12-02-2018, 08:33 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Composite (baseband) video is NOT RF, but is modulated on the RF signal. I doubt your monitor accepts RF. If it says composite input, that should be baseband, which you will find on the RCA baseband video output connector on a VCR or DVD player (usually the yellow connector).
Old 12-02-2018, 11:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

Like old tv nut sez, forget the F connector signal (threaded one). You want the yellow RCA from the VCR to go to the composite input BNC of the monitor. You won't have an SDI source from a consumer VCR. Your monitor will use the same BNC style connector for analog and digital inputs.

In addition to plugging it into the right input, you'll need to select that input for viewing on the front panel controls. You also may need to terminate the loop thru connector on composite input with a 75 ohm terminator. If there's a termination switch, use it to terminate the connection. (Some later Sony's had built-in terminators, but manual would mention it if this monitor had it.)

Also, if external sync is selected, it may not show a picture. Deselect external sync on the front panel switches if you're not supplying it external sync. (You have no need to set up ext. sync when watching a consumer VCR.)

Post a pic of the back panel and front switch panel (with labels legible) or a link to the manual if you have more questions. I think if it was working before, it's probably just an input/switching issue that's keeping it from working now.
Audiokarma