Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-01-2018, 05:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

Sony LVM media want to play back

I have an LVM-3AA0 CRVdisc. Does anyone have the ability to play it?

This is a cartridge-encased write-once laser video disc made by Sony. I'm having poor luck finding a player, recorder, or anyone who can transfer this disc to DVD or to usable media. I recorded this disc years ago, and kinda forgot about it. The internal format is component NTSC, so it is quite good really very clean.

This is a CRV disc so frames are individually self contained, not MPEG, no key frames or I frames. They were individually write-able, and so any suitable media that would preserve uncompressed whether a physical disc or a file would be OK.
I would not want to transfer to something with the compression that results in the usual MPEG blocks showing up as artifacts because there are many test patterns on this, one frame each. That's a whole other story from days at Sony.

No Kowtow
Old 11-01-2018, 07:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

I can.
I purchased an LVR-5000 back in 2014 but determined that the similarly packaged Sony WDM-6DLO WORM media will not support writing by the machine.

It accepted and spun up a cartridge last time I had it out. I don't see why it should be any different now. I'll have to double check what I have but I can probably digitize it into a DV NTSC avi file.

Last edited by MIPS; 11-01-2018 at 07:39 PM.
Old 02-09-2019, 04:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

I contacted your friend with the upcoming studio, asked him to let me know when it is convenient. I figured out BTW how to fedex the thing without customs/brokerage fees. If it is sent as an item for services/repair, then those fees don't apply, according to fedex.

I'm told that some issues on them are the belts in the loading system. That plus the mechanism timings/timeouts makes them fussy when loading etc.

No Kowtow