Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-01-2016, 12:18 AM
VideoKarma Member

Family CTC-7

Found this looking through old family photos. Grandma's CTC-7 her kids bought her in the day. Not much to see for you but glorious to me. Uncle Mel, cousin Christie, Coalie the Collie and the set in the back. Coalie figured out that sitting in front of the set while the massive family watched Dinah Shore and Bonanza in color would get her dog attention. Color tv entered my blood back then and 58 years later and now in broadcasting I still think this is the beginning. The set was still alive at my dad's house in the 70's for early Super Bowl parties and I still have his RCA 19" portable on the cart that was also at the parties. I still have the twin speakers from the CTC I built in to a new box.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1960 Sands.Mel Christy Coalie TV at 312.jpg (67.0 KB, 137 views)

Last edited by Dave A; 09-01-2016 at 12:26 AM. Reason: text
Old 09-01-2016, 08:17 AM
Motorola Minion

The radiator, high ceiling and those French doors. A perfect room for a such a TV, gave me goosebumps.
Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-01-2016, 03:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

Your grandma's Xmas tree looks like the one in 1951 at my grandma's. Must have been the style popular back then. She had B&W sets until 1975 when she got an RCA CTC39.
Old 09-01-2016, 06:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

Dave, if you thought the radiators were great...you have to see the outside. The pic is from the mid-30's. It looked the same when I was a kid but the trees were bigger. My dad and his brother would flood the front yard below the berm for a skating rink in the winter.

Early on my grandfather had to use wires to the car battery to run a battery set to hear a boxing match. He forgot to disconnect it and backed out of the garage the next morning. Disaster followed.

As grandma got older she became a bedroom queen with help from Mrs. Hill her housekeeper. Well she needed a color set in her upstairs bedroom and got another ordinary RCA roundie from the mid-60's. I forget the model but I would visit her up there to watch Dark Shadows after school. Her in bed chain-smoking her Kents and me on a chair by her side. And sharp as a tack.

A famous mid-west architect did the house in 1926. Jess Barloga is renowned for out-of-place houses. It's Rockford, IL...not the coast of Spain. The CTC's were very comfortable in this house.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 312 Spring Creek 1930 abt door..jpg (69.1 KB, 61 views)

Last edited by Dave A; 09-01-2016 at 06:38 PM. Reason: typo