Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-19-2005, 11:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

What colour rock'n'roll TV shows were on between 1954 and 1964?

Hi all. I was wondering what rock'n'roll TV shows were on between 1954 and 1964 in living colour?

I think Jerry Lewis had a colour rock special which the advert was shown on the end of the "Evening With Fred Astair" trailer on Kris Trexler's site.

Also Elvis Presley's B&W clip "Jailhouse Rock" 1957 was actually a live studio performance done in living colour as I've seen a TK-41 in the background.

Anyways like to know of some more rock'n'roll shows that were on around that period in colour.

Cheers
Troy
Old 01-19-2005, 11:53 PM
Administrator

Hullabaloo misses the mark by a year, it was on in 1965-66

http://www.geocities.com/tellytyme/hullabaloo.html
Old 01-20-2005, 12:27 AM
Banned

This seems to be true of a lot of rock shows. Of course a LOT of my favorite stuff was done in foreign countries that didn't have color yet or the copies were produced in a color country but sent out in B/W on film. As a result, I can't say I've ever seen a color copy of Beat Club and very few if any of The Old Grey Whistle Test(?), even the first television performance of Led Zeppelin is monochrome! I can't remember if the Beatles performed "All You Need Is Love" in color or not (likely not, even if it was mixed down in stereo in a live recording I heard for the single).

ABC in the US was very slow to convert, so I wonder when American Bandstand converted? Folk and Country show were doing so by the mid-60s, so Glen Campbell's "Good Time" show, Smothers Brothers and Hee Haw made the cut...
Old 01-20-2005, 12:59 AM
Mac and Roundie TV lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by asynchronousman
This seems to be true of a lot of rock shows. Of course a LOT of my favorite stuff was done in foreign countries that didn't have color yet or the copies were produced in a color country but sent out in B/W on film. As a result, I can't say I've ever seen a color copy of Beat Club and very few if any of The Old Grey Whistle Test(?), even the first television performance of Led Zeppelin is monochrome! I can't remember if the Beatles performed "All You Need Is Love" in color or not (likely not, even if it was mixed down in stereo in a live recording I heard for the single).

ABC in the US was very slow to convert, so I wonder when American Bandstand converted? Folk and Country show were doing so by the mid-60s, so Glen Campbell's "Good Time" show, Smothers Brothers and Hee Haw made the cut...
All You Need Is Love was broadcast in B&W; the segment was "colorized" for the Beatles' Anthology special in the middle 1990's.

ABC USA converted to all color in September of 1966, including Bandstand..

Last edited by Steve Hoffman; 01-20-2005 at 01:05 AM.
Old 01-20-2005, 05:54 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

...There was The T.A.M.I. show from about '64, don't remember if it was in color or not.-Sandy G.
Audiokarma
Old 01-20-2005, 06:08 AM
AK Member

What about Shindig?
Old 01-20-2005, 06:16 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

...Yeah, JoZmo, I thought of that one, too, about the time I hit the "post Reply" key...<grin>-Sandy G.
Old 01-20-2005, 08:48 AM
Huh?

How about "Where the Action Is"?
Old 01-20-2005, 09:18 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Wasn't rock 'n' roll, but anybody remember "The King Family" back in them days? POSSIBLY it was in color-seems like it was a junior-grade version of Lawrence Welk. Seems like ol' Lawrence WAS in color from an early time- remember those stupid bubbles ? <grin>-Sandy G.
Old 01-20-2005, 09:27 AM
Peanut Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G
...There was The T.A.M.I. show from about '64, don't remember if it was in color or not.-Sandy G.
The theme song for that was "(Here They Come) From All Over The World" by Jan & Dean. Don't know why I felt compelled to mention that. Just some of the useless music trivia I have floating around in my senile mind.

Let me live in the house beside the road and be a friend to man.
Audiokarma
Old 01-20-2005, 01:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

Aussie,

This is a blurb from a listing on the http://kinevideo.net/ website that seems to show that Jerry Lewis indeed did have at least a color special in 1957.

"LAUGHS AND MUSIC— SATURDAY COLOR CARNIVAL presents THE JERRY LEWIS SHOW (1957) one of Jerry's early solo shows with guests Edie Gorme, Rowan and Martin and Jerry's dad, Danny Lewis!"

Dave A
Old 01-20-2005, 08:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

Several items

The Jerry Lewis "Saturday Color Carnival" was from 1957 and was sponsored by Oldsmobile. I have a b&w copy of the kinescope of that show. Very cool animated opening that must have been something in color.

The Elvis Presley b&w movie "Jail House Rock" had a production number that showed TK-41 color cameras. They were just props.

And lastly, in 1965, my first year at KTLA in Los Angeles. I worked on a local teen dance show called "Shebang" that was telecast live in color every afternoon starting in 1964. It was produced by Dick Clark. The host was Kasey Kasem. Some of the guests were The Jackson 5 and The Monkees. If I recall, the show lasted into the 70's.

Last edited by Steve D.; 01-20-2005 at 08:08 PM.