Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-24-2018, 05:01 AM
VideoKarma Member

Exclamation Panasonic omnivision vcr problem

Hi,
I'm hoping you guys can help me out here.... I just bought an older Super VHS VCR Panasonic VCR from the late 90's... I have another one just like it (same model) but the one I got recently has some issues, was hoping you'd help identify. I have uploaded a couple of 1 minute videos, links below.. I have correctly cleaned the heads prior to use (as I do for my other VCR's), so I'm not a total newbie at this. I have hooked up the VCR with the issue identically to the other one (which works fine). The problem is as follows: (1) you'll note in the 1st video that all I'm doing is switching channels (tape is not inserted) and you'll see what looks like some kind of interference in the background (between channels). Again, I compared the same other model VCR, similarly connected and it's fine so I know it's only this one that has the problem. Every input / output causes the same problem. The 2nd video shows me playing a recorded tape (that I taped off cable) - see the same problem but seems to be more pronounced also on the black/white movie at the start, like waves of streaks.. (Again, the heads were manually cleaned very well using paper strips and 99% alcohol until no dark oxide was present...). This problem occurs when watching TV through the VCR and also when something is taped. So I see this as NOT a recording problem but something else but as you can see is significant. Pre-recorded cassettes seem to play fine though.
Another problem is that whenever a tape is inserted and is otherwise playing or FF or REW, an onscreen prompt displays "no cassette - please insert a cassette" (even if cassette is playing etc..). It doesn't seem to affect the playback or anything but why is it showing up? Are those two things related to some kind of electronic problem?
Here are the videos, thanks for viewing:
https://youtu.be/kp-yNOjsDOo
https://youtu.be/LHKSyBb2Yks

Any idea of what this could be?
Thanks again.

Last edited by cjacek; 02-24-2018 at 05:07 AM.